1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken was attacked HELP!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Marina10114, Feb 9, 2016.

1. rIrs roost

rIrs roost Sir Crows A lot

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    Thanks to you both for helping. I didn't want to give bad advice. Even though I went through similar, I didn't have the skin or what ever that is hanging out near the vent. Sure hope she pulls through. Like local said, I've seen worse do fine. Just don't let it get infected and don't use peroxide on her.

2. Wishing4Wings

Wishing4Wings Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    Here's a bit of info. The part that has been prolapsed has to be cleaned and pushed back inside the hen. Usually it has to be done repeatedly. I do not think the prognosis for this is good. I had a otherwise healthy hen with a prolapsed vent, and she did not make it. Egg Binding, Vent Gleet & Prolapsed Oviduct

Your hen's back looks terrible, but I've seen worse on byc that healed fine. The prolapsed oviduct is the bigger problem. I'm sorry. Wish I could be more help.

3. LocalYokel

LocalYokel Overrun With Chickens

4. pfields

pfields Chillin' With My Peeps

The picture looks like it's on her back. After you coat that area with an antibiotic ointment, cover with gauze gently and then wrap the ouch less bandage around her body to hold it in place, even if you have to wrap a few times around but don't wrap it too tight, just enough to hold the gauze in place. It's amazing how fast they will heal. I kept my girls in our bathtub in the house the first night or two and then moved them to our old coop so they wouldn't get pecked on. All three were back with the flock within a week. I found some brown ouch less bandage online and bought several packages. You can't even see it on the dark feathered hens.

5. LocalYokel

There is another Picher of the Vent.

I didnt see it before.

Im glad Wishing pointed it out for me

6. LocalYokel

[​IMG]

7. pfields

pfields Chillin' With My Peeps

I just realized the pictures are different, too. I thought they were both of the back.

8. rIrs roost

rIrs roost Sir Crows A lot

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    that's the only part I was worried about. I thought the back issue was minimal compared to the vent. I just wasn't sure. Thank y'all for jumping on this so quick. I just want to say don't lose hope. But if things don't start to improve I'm sure you'll do the right thing. Please keep us posted. Good luck and :hugs

local no one thinks you're being a smart butt for giving more information I'm sure. Every bit helps in my opinion.

9. Marina10114

Marina10114 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2016
    Robertsdale, AL
    Thank you everyone for the advice. I never thought of prolapse. I didn't think it would hang out so far.

10. Wishing4Wings

Wishing4Wings Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    Any body parts hanging out like that is considered a prolapse, regardless of cause.

How is she doing today?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by