Chicken was found on its side and can't stand up, help?

HerNameisAlfredo

Hatching
Sep 27, 2022
I have a chick ~6months of age, and I'm going to use 'she' throughout this but I'm not confident about the gender. She's generally been slow among the other chicks in her flock but had been doing fine. I found her on her side a couple of weeks ago and she didn't seem to be doing very well. Separated her from the rest and kept up with a mash/electrolyte mix until she started to show signs of doing better. She still wasn't standing on her own well, so we made a sling out of some scrap linen for her box. She picked up pretty quickly from there, eating and drinking on her own, passing all her waste well. None of her flock have displayed any signs of illness or doing the same thing she's gone through.

PXL_20220918_231346515.jpg

I decided she had picked up well enough to take her to the vets today (because I was also concerned about her eyes and a weird goop around them), and the doctor doesn't think there's anything to be done. He says it might have been something developmental that finally caught up with her, and the best course of action would be to put her down. I'd just like to exhaust my options because she is still very lively and I don't want to do that if there's something else that isn't being considered here. I appreciate any guidance I can get in this matter.

PXL_20220927_215111681.MP.jpg

PXL_20220927_215057079.jpg

1) Half silke/half aracauna, approx 6 months, normal weight now.
2) Unable to stand.
3) About two weeks.
4) No other bird is exhibiting this problem.
5) No trauma.
6) See above.
7) Water, purina flock raiser crumble or hen scratch
8) Normal since eating by herself. Initial poops were very solid until a couple days after the mash mix, then pretty runny, but normalized now.
9) No treatment other than what was described above. Eyes were not opening (may have been dehyrdration?) and had treated with Vetericyn plus eye gel, both eyes now open but with orange goop around the eyes.
10 ) Have brought to vet, vet doesn't think there's anything that can be done and has recommended putting the chicken down.

12) Have been keeping her suspended in sling over pine shavings for easier cleanup, has been on a towel for today's vet visit.

Can you do a warm compress on her eyes to see if you can remove the orange gunk around her eyes, also if you could give her 1/2 a b complex pill into her beak? Tagging @Wyorp Rock for vitamin e dosage since she's so young.

Keep her hydrated and fed, give her raw yolk, black soldier larvae and anything else she likes.

Can you do a warm compress on her eyes to see if you can remove the orange gunk around her eyes, also if you could give her 1/2 a b complex pill into her beak? Tagging @Wyorp Rock for vitamin e dosage since she's so young.

Keep her hydrated and fed, give her raw yolk, black soldier larvae and anything else she likes.
Can you help me to understand how this will help with her legs sticking out ahead of her like that and being unable to stand? She's got good muscle strength, but it seems to be going in the wrong direction.

It is hard to know if this could be a vitamin deficiency or something like Mareks disease because of her age. Giving 1/4-1/2 of B complex tablet and 400 IU of human vitamin E softgel daily for a couple of weeks is what I would do.

I'm sorry, but I think the vet's right. This pullet looks max 8 weeks old, not six months. So she most likely suffers from some kind of birth defect.
But, if it's not a birth defect that caught up with her, I would suspect Polio or Mareks.

Back
Top Bottom