Chicken was grazed by a car and is now acting a little off

Shelleyict

In the Brooder
Oct 20, 2020
My hen was grazed by a car. She has a few ruffled feathers but no visible damage. She is just acting a little dazed and confused. A little slow if you will. She can walk and flap her wings. She even went in the coop to roost tonight. Has anyone encountered this?

My hen was grazed by a car. She has a few ruffled feathers but no visible damage. She is just acting a little dazed and confused. A little slow if you will. She can walk and flap her wings. She even went in the coop to roost tonight. Has anyone encountered this?
Maybe she still in shock

I brought her inside and wrapped her in a towel in a box and put her in the bathroom where it is quiet and warm. She drank some sugar water and seems to be resting okay. I will take her to the vet tomorrow. I hope she does not have any internal injuries.

Attachments

• 20201020_204033.jpg
    20201020_204033.jpg
    524.1 KB · Views: 4
How long ago did this happen? Injuries can cause soft shell eggs, but they can occur from other reasons. I would try to give her water and some foods in the morning. Soft scrambled egg, wet chick feed, canned cat food are good. Make sure that she is getting calcium for hard egg shells—either by feeding layer feed or crushed oystershell on the side.

The injury happened about 4 or 5 hours ago. She gets oyster shell in her feed and has never laid a soft shell egg before. She's lethargic and just not herself. The car grazed her and she went and hid under a bush for awhile and then rejoined the flock but isn't quite all there.

Have you found any injuries, scrapes, green bruising, and is she walking without a limp? They can get air under the skin from leaking air sacs from trauma. Let us know if she will eat or drink, and anything the vet has to say.

Back
Top Bottom