Chicken was trapped under rooster bars

Vitamins are vitamins. When you are trying to supplement a specific one it's often easier to use human ones. Many animal ones are combinations. They're the same vitamins, human ones are just easier to find in many cases. If you give some cooked egg, a bit of canned tuna, or sunflower seeds, those will provide the selenium needed.
True... :)

I'd stay away from the horse product that has Lysine in it. See this article:
https://www.thepoultrysite.com/news/2018/01/when-lysine-is-too-much-of-a-good-thing

Look at post# 2 here as well:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/l-lysine-for-poultry.946971/

Here is a product that contains the same ratio of Vit-E to Selenium as the product I have in the photo above, has no Lysine in it, and it's on Amazon UK's site:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kaecokaeco...m+with+vitamin+e+goats&qid=1627763895&sr=8-17
That’s really helpful thank you, I’ll order that one. I just went to check on her now, she’s still alive and cheeping but head on upside down!

Attachments

• BC16E3AB-EBA4-4801-AFF1-AE48F3A50169.jpeg
    BC16E3AB-EBA4-4801-AFF1-AE48F3A50169.jpeg
    705 KB · Views: 12
That's the easy part. Here's how we do it:

We've found that an easy way to give meds is to mix them up in food. We do it this way, especially for Vitamin B-Complex (tablet form) and Vitamin E, which is a sticky gel:

Put 1/4 tablet B-Complex in a bowl and crush/pulverize it (mortar and pestle works well here). EDIT: Add about 1/8 or less of a 200mcg tablet and crush/pulverize it too. Then add about 1/2 TBSP of her Starter Feed to the dry mix and stir it up; you're trying to distribute the B-Complex before adding moisture. Next, we mix in about 1/4 TBSP of mixed-berry flavored Yogurt (any flavor will do), then puncture the 400IU gelcap and squeeze it on top of the Feed/Yogurt/B Complex mix. Mix all of that up to a moist paste, adding a little Yogurt if too dry or a little more Starter Feed if too wet.

We try to get the consistency to be like a moist dough ball, something that will stay together enough for the chicken to pick up pieces of it, but not so dry that it falls apart. Our chickens will readily eat this on their own in all but the most severe cases of Wry Neck. In those severe cases, we hand feed them, using about a two-pea size amount at a time, dropping it in their mouth while we hold it open. Feed ALL the mix at each dosing/feeding so they get ALL the Vit-E...

NOTE: you can mix fried/boiled egg yolk, seeds, whatever your birds like and find to be a treat that will help them eat. As long as they are getting nutrients and the therapy, you're on the right path.

For Wry Neck, start with feeding this twice per day; some say once per day, but we've found that for getting ahead of the curve (multiple doses) works better for us. Please continue to update us on how she's doing. :)

Last edited:
Vitamin E softgels for humans can be punctured and fed with food or given orally with a syringe or dropper. Most Walmarts and Targets sell the same vitamins that can be used for chickens. B complex tablets are also good and contain all B vitamins, and dosage is 1/4 tablet daily. For wry neck, mainly E, B1 thiamine, and just a little selenium are needed. Products like Poultry NutriDrench and Poultry Cell are good products to keep at home. They have vitamins, electrolytes, and amino acids. Only a little selenium is needed to help the vitamin E, and those have it, or you can feed just a bit of egg yolk or other foods that have it. Many feed their chickens with severe wry neck, and make a mix of chicken feed, scrambled egg, and vitamins, yogurt, or bits of tuna or cat food may be added or alternated. Let us know how she gets along.

Vitamin E softgels for humans can be punctured and fed with food or given orally with a syringe or dropper. Most Walmarts and Targets sell the same vitamins that can be used for chickens. B complex tablets are also good and contain all B vitamins, and dosage is 1/4 tablet daily. For wry neck, mainly E, B1 thiamine, and just a little selenium are needed. Products like Poultry NutriDrench and Poultry Cell are good products to keep at home. They have vitamins, electrolytes, and amino acids. Only a little selenium is needed to help the vitamin E, and those have it, or you can feed just a bit of egg yolk or other foods that have it. Many feed their chickens with severe wry neck, and make a mix of chicken feed, scrambled egg, and vitamins, yogurt, or bits of tuna or cat food may be added or alternated. Let us know how she gets along.

Always good information! I think she's in the UK, however. Don't know if they have Walmart or Target stores there...

That's the easy part. Here's how we do it:

We've found that an easy way to give meds is to mix them up in food. We do it this way, especially for Vitamin B-Complex (tablet form) and Vitamin E, which is a sticky gel:

Put 1/4 tablet B-Complex in a bowl and crush/pulverize it (mortar and pestle works well here). Then add about 1/2 TBSP of her Starter Feed to the dry mix and stir it up; you're trying to distribute the B-Complex before adding moisture. Next, we mix in about 1/4 TBSP of mixed-berry flavored Yogurt (any flavor will do), then puncture the 400IU gelcap and squeeze it on top of the Feed/Yogurt/B Complex mix. Mix all of that up to a moist paste, adding a little Yogurt if too dry or a little more Starter Feed if too wet.

We try to get the consistency to be like a moist dough ball, something that will stay together enough for the chicken to pick up pieces of it, but not so dry that it falls apart. Our chickens will readily eat this on their own in all but the most severe cases of Wry Neck. In those severe cases, we hand feed them, using about a two-pea size amount at a time, dropping it in their mouth while we hold it open. Feed ALL the mix at each dosing/feeding so they get ALL the Vit-E...

NOTE: you can mix fried/boiled egg yolk, seeds, whatever your birds like and find to be a treat that will help them eat. As long as they are getting nutrients and the therapy, you're on the right path.

For Wry Neck, start with feeding this twice per day; some say once per day, but we've found that for getting ahead of the curve (multiple doses) works better for us. Please continue to update us on how she's doing. :)
That’s great thank you. Giving it a go… will keep you updated. Thanks

Attachments

• 99D6F1A5-024C-4A35-88D8-E9A56AE061F9.jpeg
    99D6F1A5-024C-4A35-88D8-E9A56AE061F9.jpeg
    535.4 KB · Views: 9
That’s great thank you. Giving it a go… will keep you updated. Thanks
That mix looks great, maybe just a tad too wet, but good!

You'll probably have to hold her head upright so she can eat. If she can't or won't eat, you'll likely have to hand-feed her. Water is super-important right now too, so don't forget to keep her hydrated. There's a link at the end of this post describing how to hand-water a bird.

To hand-feed her, hold the bird under one arm, let her breast sortof lie on your forearm. The back of her neck and head should be against your chest. Use the hand of that arm to gently open her beak using your thumb and index finger. Put gentle pressure on both sides of the beak with a gentle downward pull. Her mouth should open. With your other hand, drop some food in her mouth as far back as you can get it. She'll chomp, chomp and swallow. It's not uncommon for them to sling whatever you put in their mouth across the table or floor, but be persistent and get as much food in her as you can.

Don't forget to keep her hydrated too! A syringe or eye-dropper work well for this. To manual feed water to a chick, do it in small amounts (about 1ml or 2ml at a time). Here's a great primer on feeding birds liquids (or medicines) with some great photos of their oral anatomy and how to avoid aspirating them (getting water in their lungs):
https://bitchinchickens.com/2020/02/06/how-to-safely-give-oral-medications/

Hand-feeding and watering a bird is not the easiest thing to do, so having an assistant help you might be necessary. However, once you've done it a couple of times, you'll be an old pro! Good luck, and let us know how she's doing :)

Thank you, yes it’s quite a challenge, I’ve never done it before so it’s a bit daunting. I think she’s drinking and she’s pecking at bits in the box just not the food! 🤦‍♀️ I’ll try hand feeding this evening I think… thank you for the explanation, really helpful.

Thank you, yes it’s quite a challenge, I’ve never done it before so it’s a bit daunting. I think she’s drinking and she’s pecking at bits in the box just not the food! 🤦‍♀️ I’ll try hand feeding this evening I think… thank you for the explanation, really helpful.

Try your best to stay with it. She's hungry, so she should "help" you as much as she can. Let us know how it goes :)

Back
Top Bottom