Chicken waste & well water

Quote:
Seriously 100 ft. Other jurisdictions may well have different zoning requirements if any.... yours may have few or nil, given the relaxed building code attitudes in the area.

Also, I think that older properties are probably grandfathered in.

Yes, management practices matter, but at the same time, farther is better. It's *other* peoples' aquifers too.

Pat

Quote:
Seriously 100 ft. Other jurisdictions may well have different zoning requirements if any.... yours may have few or nil, given the relaxed building code attitudes in the area.

Also, I think that older properties are probably grandfathered in.

Yes, management practices matter, but at the same time, farther is better. It's *other* peoples' aquifers too.

Pat

Oh yeah totally, the well that is there was put in about 10 years ago, and the house well about....130 years ago, and I expect when the septic was added it was so long ago, that there was no real view on the situation. We're having a new well for the house drilled in a few years, and it will be located well away from our septic.

I'm not sure what you mean about "relaxed building code attitudes," we have building codes, and you can get permits for most everything from wiring, to plumbing. The truth of it is that most often the wiring and plumbing is for new additions to you systems, like you're adding a bathroom where there was none, or you're putting wiring where there was none. Moving outlets, lights, etc. people typically don't get permits for these, and most wiring is done by homeowners rather than electricians....IF you're handy and have experience that is! ... it just so happens my dad has experience doing a lot of wiring, from computer wiring to house wiring, though he is not an electrician.

I totally agree with you, and yes management isn't everything because you can manage the hell out of it and still end up with a right mess. Further is better, management too, if everything works in unision you're doing pretty good for yourself.

Quote:
Ten feet? Is that a typo? I can't imagine having my well only ten feet from the septic field. That would be way to close for my comfort, especially after a heavy rain. Is the 0/0 the PPM for, total coliform/fecal coliform? If so that is pretty amazing!
smile.png

Quote:
Ten feet? Is that a typo? I can't imagine having my well only ten feet from the septic field. That would be way to close for my comfort, especially after a heavy rain. Is the 0/0 the PPM for, total coliform/fecal coliform? If so that is pretty amazing!
smile.png

10-15 ft, I'll measure in the morning! ... It's a 0/0 for everything, both wells are... barn and house. It's an old well, and an old septic. The Well is being decomissioned in a few years and we're going to have a new well drilled far from the septic field, but for now it's fine given that the quality is 0/0.

Quote:
Well you just finished telling me, in your other thread, that your building code there only requires 2 or 2.5' (I forget which) depth for foundations and water pipes.

That, in this region, is indeed a pretty laid-back building code
smile.png

Also I have driven around in the Tweed area and from the road it sure looks like a lot of other areas that, from having researched the issue when we were looking for property, have rather relaxed building code attitudes, in terms of not being overly draconian (shall we say) about telling people what they can or can't do. In terms of what you see, built how, and where located. (e.t.a. - we really would have preferred to live somewhere like that ourselves, just so you understand).

It's not a criticism, Chickadee, it is an observation, that's all.

Pat

Last edited:
Quote:
Well you just finished telling me, in your other thread, that your building code there only requires 2 or 2.5' (I forget which) depth for foundations and water pipes.

That, in this region, is indeed a pretty laid-back building code
smile.png

Also I have driven around in the Tweed area and from the road it sure looks like a lot of other areas that, from having researched the issue when we were looking for property, have rather relaxed building code attitudes, in terms of not being overly draconian (shall we say) about telling people what they can or can't do. In terms of what you see, built how, and where located. (e.t.a. - we really would have preferred to live somewhere like that ourselves, just so you understand).

It's not a criticism, Chickadee, it is an observation, that's all.

Pat

I see now! ... Okay, yeah we chose the area not just because the place was perfect, but the area is BEAUTIFUL, and we had so many rules and regulations in Bowmanville, we couldn't even put our dogs out in the yard without someone complaining to the town, and FORGET building anything.

Tweed is lovely, we take our dogs to the vet there... a 1/4 the cost of using the vet we had in Bowmanville, and he's way better with them.

i dont know if you free range or not but if they are penned and you clean thier pen bag it up with a walmart bag and put it in your trash can for pick up. thats what i do and i works great

Geez! I wish our building codes were like that! But, then again, I guess I don't. When we were building our house (much of which we did ourselves) the codes were a major pain. We needed to completely regrade the front yard so the septic would be at the correct grade, the well had to be 30 feet deep and 100ft from ANY structure. Including neighbors, barns and outbuildings.

This very effectively forces developers to put in waste treatment systems since there is no way to place them 100ft from everything with less than two or three acres!
tongue.png

After all of that, we had to put in $14,000 dollars worth of drainage systems to prevent any run off from our land reaching any neighbors land. They forced us to cut down trees to put in the systems though - that was the part that got my goat. What is a better retention system than trees? This also meant regrading and creating berms.

I agree with all of those measures expect for the retention systems. There was no logic applied there. They made us cut down 6 forty year old trees.
barnie.gif
Real beauties that were one of the things I loved about the land, to prevent water from running into an abandoned railroad bed that was fifteen feet below everything and had served as a retention system for the 100 years it had been abandoned!
he.gif

The law is the law is the law....

Back
Top Bottom