Chicken Waterer with Nipples

RIArmySGT

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 16, 2013
So i am thinking about making a waterer with the nipples at the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket. My question is when you guys/gals did this, did you have to show or teach your chickens where to get their water from? Thanks

matt

This spring I made a small one out of a water bottle for my five chicks in their brooder. They had been using the cheap plastic waterer that you screw a plastic jar or a 1qt mason jar into. They figured it out fairly quickly. ie within an hour everyone was using it.

I had the same experience with my chicks recently. They picked it up very quickly at ~2 weeks old. But, i've read threads on here about the nipple waterers and older chickens and you have to do more 'teaching'. I can't remember exactly what they said, but you can probably search the forum for nipple waterers and find it.

There are many threads o here asking the exact same question. Do a Search, the search box is at the top of every page, and read a few. Don't make your decision based on only one topic, read several and a trend will begin to show up for you.

The secret for older birds is to remove all other sources of water.

Back
Top Bottom