Chicken Waterer with Nipples

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by RIArmySGT, Aug 22, 2013.

1. RIArmySGT

RIArmySGT Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2013
    So i am thinking about making a waterer with the nipples at the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket. My question is when you guys/gals did this, did you have to show or teach your chickens where to get their water from? Thanks

matt

2. WYNot

WYNot Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2013
    Casstown, OH
    This spring I made a small one out of a water bottle for my five chicks in their brooder. They had been using the cheap plastic waterer that you screw a plastic jar or a 1qt mason jar into. They figured it out fairly quickly. ie within an hour everyone was using it.

3. FergieChick

FergieChick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2013
    Frederick, Maryland
    I had the same experience with my chicks recently. They picked it up very quickly at ~2 weeks old. But, i've read threads on here about the nipple waterers and older chickens and you have to do more 'teaching'. I can't remember exactly what they said, but you can probably search the forum for nipple waterers and find it.

4. MelissaTXRn

MelissaTXRn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2013
    I showed one or two of them and the rest caught on within an hour.

5. LoneOak

LoneOak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2013
    West of Atlanta
    There are many threads o here asking the exact same question. Do a Search, the search box is at the top of every page, and read a few. Don't make your decision based on only one topic, read several and a trend will begin to show up for you.

The secret for older birds is to remove all other sources of water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by