Chicken waterer

mendogurl

Songster
10 Years
Mar 2, 2009
I just filled up the waterer, chicks arrive today or tomorrow.

It seems so deep, even though it is the chick waterer. I also bought one of those small animal waterer that clamps on the side of the brooder and the chicks get water from the nozzle.

Which one is better, and I will be grateful for tips on both.

Rocks in dish? how high do I raise it ? etc....

You can put small stones in the water if you are worried about it being too deep.
As for height, the first week I would leave it at floor level. After that you can start to raise it to help it stay cleaner. You want them to have to reach just a little to get a drink. At one week I had my waterers one inch off the floor and added an inch at a time from there.

I used the aquarium stones you can buy like a netted bag of them at the pet stores not the gravel they are like polished decor stones

Hi Mendogurl, it's Lisa. I also PMed you again
smile.png

Do you have pictures of the chick waterer? Mine was really shallow and wasn't cause for concern, but if yours is not, I hear that rocks are the way to go. When my babies came, I put a layer of shavings in the brooder and little pieces of 2"x4" in there as sturdy platforms for the feeders and waterers. The shavings raised the floor height to the same as the boards, and that worked, but after a few days, they'll start scratching all the shavings into the waterer and then you can raise them some more to minimize that.

Also, are you putting sugar in the water? That helps them get over the stress of shipping - 3Tbs. per quart of regular sugar.

Back
Top Bottom