chicken weight.

bikerboy30474

In the Brooder
Mar 3, 2018
Hearing Ga
My hens weigh 10 or more lbs. The smallest one just died and her dead weight was 10.2 lbs. is this normal for chickens. They are very white (cotton) pened up at nite but free roam during day. The eggs are verrry large can't close egg crate lid. large dark yokes

That's a bit heavy for hens, but some large breeds can get pretty hefty.

As long as your hens are active and laying eggs, they are probably okay. But let's review what you are feeding them and in what proportions. They should be getting predominantly layer or all flock feed with only very scant treats. Treats include table scraps and scratch grains. These can cause excessive weight gain and fatty deposits that can hinder long term health.

Fatty deposits can invade the liver and cause liver disease. There's no knowing what caused the death of your hen without a necropsy. If any more die, that is what I recommend.

That's a bit heavy for hens, but some large breeds can get pretty hefty.

As long as your hens are active and laying eggs, they are probably okay. But let's review what you are feeding them and in what proportions. They should be getting predominantly layer or all flock feed with only very scant treats. Treats include table scraps and scratch grains. These can cause excessive weight gain and fatty deposits that can hinder long term health.

Fatty deposits can invade the liver and cause liver disease. There's no knowing what caused the death of your hen without a necropsy. If any more die, that is what I recommend.
I feed them during the cold months a crack corn/layin mash mix. but during the spring and summer I feed them layin mash. I have a feeder hanging about 6 in off the ground and they feed as they need to. I have to refill it about 2 X a week. They also free range in the back yard during daylight hours. I also feed them oyster shells as needed maybe 2X every 6 months. Just a hand full only.

I feed them during the cold months a crack corn/layin mash mix. but during the spring and summer I feed them layin mash. I have a feeder hanging about 6 in off the ground and they feed as they need to. I have to refill it about 2 X a week. They also free range in the back yard during daylight hours. I also feed them oyster shells as needed maybe 2X every 6 months. Just a hand full only.
Thank you for your help.

What breeds do you have?
What does the layer mash look like? Is it broken mixed grains and pulses? How much cracked corn are you adding to it. Mixing corn and layer feed will cause the birds to bill the feed out onto the ground so that they can find their favourite bits and will cause them to waste quite a bit and/or attract rodents. They will eat corn and other carbohydrate rich grains in preference to the lentils and pulses which are higher in protein and can cause them to develop thick fatty deposits which are unhealthy as outlined by azygous and can become fatal. Pelleted layer feed means that the chickens get a more balanced ration because it is uniform and they cannot pick and chose their favourite bits and because it is uniform, they do not bill it out to find the "good bits" so there is less spoilage and waste and less risk of getting fat unhealthy chickens.

What breeds do you have?
What does the layer mash look like? Is it broken mixed grains and pulses? How much cracked corn are you adding to it. Mixing corn and layer feed will cause the birds to bill the feed out onto the ground so that they can find their favourite bits and will cause them to waste quite a bit and/or attract rodents. They will eat corn and other carbohydrate rich grains in preference to the lentils and pulses which are higher in protein and can cause them to develop thick fatty deposits which are unhealthy as outlined by azygous and can become fatal. Pelleted layer feed means that the chickens get a more balanced ration because it is uniform and they cannot pick and chose their favourite bits and because it is uniform, they do not bill it out to find the "good bits" so there is less spoilage and waste and less risk of getting fat unhealthy chickens.
Not sure what breed they are. Have been told maybe Pearl whites or leghorn whites. the layin mash is in pelet for m and they eat more of it than they do the crack corn. this is all I feed them except what they scratch up in the back yard. They do have 5 toes on their feet and they are very large

Welcome to BYC...that's big bird!!

Can you post a pic of birds?
How old are they?
Did you open the dead one up to see if she's filled with fat?
Here are some pics
thumbnail.jpg

I may be mistaken but I think you probably have some form of meat bird there and if so, you will probably lose more in the coming weeks/months as they are not bred for longevity and you might be better butchering them. If they are not meat birds then they are dual purpose that are carrying a lot of weight and those soiled butts will attract flies in the summer and almost certainly result in some nasty fly strike damage.
Where did you get them and what was your purpose in getting them? If you were specifically wanting hens for laying then you would be better starting again with different breeds. If you are emotionally attached to these chickens, then they are going to need some TLC (and butt washing) and a diet to give them a better chance of survival..... I'm no expert on meat birds though so wait for more responses to this thread before taking any drastic action.

Back
Top Bottom