Chicken went broody

junkman56

Songster
7 Years
Sep 7, 2016
Northwestern PA. ( Tionesta )
My Coop
My Coop
I have a barred rock that went broody on me. She goes into the nesting boxes and I remove her, I turn around she is back in the nesting box. This goes on all day and night, she sets on an empty nest, in the evening I go out to close them in for the night , she is in the nest. I remove her and put her on the roost. She goes right back in.
So, my question is
How do I get her to stop this behavior
Thank you

Put her in a small wire dog crate with food and water. The floor must be wire. You can put a block of 4x4 in the crate for her to "roost" on.
The crate should be up off the ground at least 3.5" so there is good air flow under her belly.
I will also dunk a broody in enough COOL water to soak her belly good then put her in the crate with a fan blowing on her. She has to stay in the crate all day and night. You can let her out once or twice a day but you have to watch her. As soon as she heads for the nest box, she gets another dunk then back into the crate.
Some broodies will break in as little as three days. I had one that took 8 days of this treatment. She got to stay out longer and longer as the days progressed until she finally broke.
Keeping the crate in a high traffic zone also helps to get their minds to snap out of it.
Good luck.

good luck with that, she sounds like my persistent broody, nothing worked on breaking it, and she won't accept other eggs or even newly hatched chicks put under her, 4 months later, still trying to brood at least she gets out and eats and drinks

Put her in a small wire dog crate with food and water. The floor must be wire. You can put a block of 4x4 in the crate for her to "roost" on.
The crate should be up off the ground at least 3.5" so there is good air flow under her belly.
I will also dunk a broody in enough COOL water to soak her belly good then put her in the crate with a fan blowing on her. She has to stay in the crate all day and night. You can let her out once or twice a day but you have to watch her. As soon as she heads for the nest box, she gets another dunk then back into the crate.
Some broodies will break in as little as three days. I had one that took 8 days of this treatment. She got to stay out longer and longer as the days progressed until she finally broke.
Keeping the crate in a high traffic zone also helps to get their minds to snap out of it.
Good luck.
Thank you, I dont have a small crate , but I do have a large wire dog crate, will that work as well

Back
Top Bottom