Chicken went broody

I caged her for two days and nights, then I let her out on the third day, she seems to be back to normal now, I still dont know if she has laid any eggs yet
Great, Congrats!!
It may take a week or more before she lays again...
...if she's ~18 months old she may molt instead of resume laying.

Off the wall idea. You could buy some (japanese coturnix) quail eggs at the grocery, it's my understanding that they're typically fertile, especially if you buy those labeled "organic" (although success rate wouldn't be expected to be over a third) and would hatch in about 2 1/2 weeks. You could probably improve the success rate if you purchased the eggs at your equivalent of a 'farmer's market'. If you kept your hen & chicks in a secure location it might suit the needs of your hen and score some quail for yourselves if you've a suitable cage to brood & raise the chicks in. The downside is that you cannot free range quail, so you'd need to take them from the hen after hatching unless you've got a predator proof and escape proof housing situation for them. I raise both chickens and quail.

Off the wall idea. You could buy some (japanese coturnix) quail eggs at the grocery, it's my understanding that they're typically fertile, especially if you buy those labeled "organic" (although success rate wouldn't be expected to be over a third) and would hatch in about 2 1/2 weeks. You could probably improve the success rate if you purchased the eggs at your equivalent of a 'farmer's market'. If you kept your hen & chicks in a secure location it might suit the needs of your hen and score some quail for yourselves if you've a suitable cage to brood & raise the chicks in. The downside is that you cannot free range quail, so you'd need to take them from the hen after hatching unless you've got a predator proof and escape proof housing situation for them. I raise both chickens and quail.
I'm not interested in hatching any eggs, in the spring I plan on purchasing day old chicks, after I build a new coop, in the mean time, I'm happy with what I have.

Back
Top Bottom