Chicken wheezing non stop, respiratory, worms, or something else?

NatalieP

Songster
May 3, 2020
South Central Kansas
On Thursday we mowed the lawn and threw a lot of dust in the air since there isnt any grass right next to the coop. Friday after work I noticed my 5 month old chicken wheezing almost like an accordion and occasionally barks (see video). We also had a slight increase in temperature after several cooler days.

Could she just have some environmental changes affecting her? Could it sound that extreme?

Could it be gapeworm blocking her airways? She was perfectly fine all week. Does it progress that quickly?

She was pecking and exploring Friday and still somewhat interested in food but I didnt see her drink while the rest were. I noticed a little discharge when she shook her head but not much. We also opened her beak to check for blockage but didnt see anything. Her poop appeared fine but was green. I did give them some greens but not a lot on Thursday.

Please help with whatever suggestions or guesses.

Last edited:
Also to note. Her flock mate had started laying 2 weeks ago and gave us an egg every single day until about 3 days ago. And now we haven't gotten a single egg from her.

The sound she is making is stridor with an occasional sneeze. Stidor is caused by something partially narrowing the airway, such as mucus from a respiratory infection, a small piece of food, or swelling. Since there is sneezing and some discharge, along with her swallowing frequently, it is probably a respiratory disease. The common ones are infectious bronchitis, mycoplasma or MG, coryza, or ILT. Usually with IB, there will usually be more birds sneezing. IB is a virus, and antibiotcs do not respond to antibiotics. Make sure the ventilation in the coop is good or make more. Yes dust and other environmental allergans, and poor coop ventilation can increase the chances of respiratory problems. Here is a good link with symptoms of all of the diseases above:
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

In addition to what Eggcessive stated, you'll know it's a respiratory disease when other birds start showing similar symptoms. In this instance I'd say it's 50/50. Stridor possibly caused by something accidentally swallowed into the trachea (for example, water) causing mucus buildup or inhaled through her nares, or a respiratory disease, time will tell.
Inspect her nostrils for a blockage whether it's feed dust and/or dirt or debris. Another possibility are fungus spores kicked up in dust after mowing the yard and she inhaled the spores. I've had that happen with my dog.

Thank you both so much. I've been applying VetRx and made sure she ate this morning. Is there anything more I can do? The ventilation in the coop is great, so it really must have been the lawn mowing.

Back
Top Bottom