Chicken wing- deformity?

pmoore

Chirping
May 13, 2018
Ohio
My Silver Duckwing bantam has always had this little piece sticking out of it's wing. It was purchased with many others all different ages from TSC roughly 6 weeks ago, so I'd age it at about 6-7 weeks. It never seems distressed, in pain, and can "fly" just fine. I thought it would molt out, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Just wondering if anyone has seen this in any of their chickens!
20190613_155014.jpg

Looks like a residual thumblike protrusion from dinosaur days...
If she roars, be wary, because jurassic park may be in your back yard!
Just kidding.
On a more serious note; I'm not sure what this is. Maybe something like ducks get called angel wings, which is a deformity caused by protein/ caloric imbalances in the feed. Could be a deformity from other vitamin or mineral deficiency.
I am not sure how to fix this however.
As long as she is in no pain and can be protected from predators, and the enclosure is set up so she doesn't get her wing stuck easy, I think she should be just fine.

My Silver Duckwing bantam has always had this little piece sticking out of it's wing. It was purchased with many others all different ages from TSC roughly 6 weeks ago, so I'd age it at about 6-7 weeks. It never seems distressed, in pain, and can "fly" just fine. I thought it would molt out, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Just wondering if anyone has seen this in any of their chickens!
View attachment 1811999I

I have a silkie that's about 6 months old that has something similar going on with her wing. Can you give me an update of your chicken?

Back
Top Bottom