Chicken wire for run apron?

NeeleysAVLChicks

Songster
10 Years
Aug 4, 2009
Leicester, NC
Hi guys, I wouldn't dare use chicken wire for the run itself with all the wily predators around, I used welded wire with the lower portion also covered in hardwire cloth. But I have a TON of chicken wire laying around and I was wondering if I could use it for the run apron, as long as its securely fastened?

Last edited:
I did that this weekend, but i overlapped 2 layers of it to reduce the hole size to 1/2" or less (we have weasels). I tilled a 2 ft. wide perimeter around the run/coop with my tiller, about 2-3 inches deep, laid out the wire, secured it using large staples (10$/75 pack from Lowes), and pushed the dirt back over. The tiller was key, made it easy.

Nice! I had the same thought about overlapping two sections for extra security. I'm not planning on tilling up the perimeter before installing the apron though as I don't have easy access to a tiller. I've seen folks just lay it down over the grass with the help of some landscaping staples and have it grow up and through, I'm hoping that'll work....

I've seen folks just lay it down over the grass with the help of some landscaping staples and have it grow up and through, I'm hoping that'll work....

Throwing a thin layer of dirt on top will help roots form to hold the wire in place​

I've used it as an apron on all my coops and runs. I cover it with a couple inches of dirt or mulch and plant shrubs or some kind of plant that are going to have roots that will hold it down for use.

Just as the chicken wire fence can be torn up by predators it will be torn up just as easily by a predator as an apron.

Quote:
Sorry, folks, but I agree with this opinion, too. If it isn't strong enough to keep predators out when it's laid vertically, I don't see how it would be any better laid horizontally.

I probably shouldn't voice my opinion here since I have no experience in the matter. However, for what I have read in this forum I think using chicken wire for the apron is a bit of a gamble. Predators can certainly rip though it (plenty of evidence of that), and in the ground it will corrode and make it even easier to rip.

Perhaps you can use it for a while making sure to check for sign of attempts to get in, but I think there is a good chance you will have to replace it in a year or two.

Enh, if you're comfortable with it, sure, go ahead; if not, don't.

It isn't as safe as heavy gauge welded wire, but it sure beats nothing. Animals seem to be less inclined to rip it apart when used as an apron than when used as *fencing*, probably because the goal is not as immediately in sight when it's an apron... but certainly an animal that really, really wants to dig in will not be stopped by mere chickenwire.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom