chicken wire interweaving tool???

DENALI

Songster
11 Years
Feb 27, 2008
Seen a really old abandoned coop with an attacked enclosed chicken wire pen. Anyhow it was made up of 10 foot lengths of traditional chicken wire that were "twisted" together along the long edge every few inches instead of tying it together with another piece of wire or using some sort of clip or hog ring making for a really slick install.
It looks like they took some sort of tool and grabbed the edge of each section then twisted it together leaving a little hole where the tool was removed from when done.
Anyhow i know i am not doing a very good job of conveying what i am talking about but hopefully it will spark someones knowledge base and i can come up with how it was done. Thanks

Not quite sure I understand what you are saying but my guess is maybe they used "Twist Lock Pliers". We used to use them all the time in the military to attatch some Heat Shield Lagging on hot exhaust pipes and fuel or oil fittings in the engine room on ships. The Lagging had hooks along the edge and we would put this wire in there and then use the Twist Lock Pliers and it would twist the wire and sinch it up tight, then we would just cut off the excess wire and tuck the sharp end in or under. They use them on aircraft engine parts also. There are holes drilled through bolt heads and you had a series of this wire going through the bolts so if they tried to loosen up the wire was done in such a way that the bolts could not loosen, because they don't want any loose bolts floating around in and engine area.
The pliers locked down on the wire and it had a knob on the end and when you pulled the end knob the pliers would twist around and tighten up what it was connected to.
Don't know if that is what they used but that is what I get the idea they may have used. Hope I described it good enough for you.

Jayare

Quote:
No, what i am talking about is different. For instance you have a roll of 24 inch high chicken wire. You cut 2 lengths however long, lets say 10 feet. You wire the first one to your posts. Then you take the second one and put it on top and wire it to the posts now making it 48 inches tall. Where the two meet along the 10 foot length is where i am talking about. I assumed i was going to have to use a piece of wire or a hog ring every few inches to connect them. However the old pen i seen someone came up with a way to just grab the two and twist them together to connect them. No additional piece of wire or any hog rings required.
Wish i would have thought to take a picture but didnt.

Back
Top Bottom