Chicken wire massacre

God, that blows. Poor lady. That makes me sad.
sad.png

Havaheart live traps baited with cat food or sardines, first summer I got 14 coons that way, 8 the next summer. I set it up when I got little ones about. The Guineas tend to ward off some predators from the chickens......but they like the catfood in the trap too, I'm always having to let them back out. People that use coon dogs will buy your live raccoons off you. (you don't wanna know why) You'll catch possums too, and if you're really lucky, you won't catch a skunk.

Hardware cloth is much better that chicken wire, but welded wire is the strongest. It is a much heavier guage. I bought mine at a feed store. It has a 1/2" x 1" mesh. It comes in 3 and 4 foot folls and believe it , it was cheaper than 1/2" hardware cloth.

I know that here in Ontario I am using 1 X 1 Welded Wire for the Chicken Tractors and for the runs. But the problem for the Duck pond is all the trees and it is 2 big to put over head cover up. A coon got in on Sunday night and shredded the Drake Runner duck on Me. The Ducks did not go to the coop and were sleeping in the water. Wife is upset about that. Moved the Ducks back up into the back yard where the dog has free access Never had a preditor issue up there.

I did use welded wire but the welds can snap. Even better and cheaper is the cattle fencing that is wrapped instead of welded. We couldn't break it when we tried the same things that snapped the welded wire, they carry it at tractor supply for $150 for 330 feet.
big_smile.png

chain link with chicken wire on the inside works miracles, I also agree with what you all call hardware cloth I call it rabbit wire but same thing. We are currently building a new coop for our new EEs and they will be in a wonderfully constructed rabbit wire coop and run but the bantys live in a 10x20 chain link, rebar, and chickenwire reinforced pen.

Those poor birds.
sad.png
Stories like this make me happy that my chicks stay in our old shed (we never used it so we converted it when we got our flock). We are currently building their outdoor run so I am glad I ran across this thread. Between the shed, the better material for the outdoor run and the fact that we don't let them roam the yard without supervision makes me feel better about their safety.

Back
Top Bottom