Chicken wire on top of run

I did this. So. Many. Sparrows. I ended up covering it with netting also. (Aka I was too lazy to take down the chicken wire). Other than the sparrows eatomg all the chicken feed the wire worked fine for the top. I'm in west tx though so I dont get tons of snow, if any some years.

I saw where someone suggested running mason's string in a random pattern over the top of the run. Mine is 25 x 25. I am also concerned now about chickens sticking their heads through the 2x4 welded wire fence and getting involved with the electric fence wire.

I saw where someone suggested running mason's string in a random pattern over the top of the run. Mine is 25 x 25. I am also concerned now about chickens sticking their heads through the 2x4 welded wire fence and getting involved with the electric fence wire.
I ran 2 foot high chicken wire around the bottom of my welded wire fence and cable tied it so they don't stick their heads through and get them lopped off by predators.

I am in Minneapolis - lots of snow - and use 2 inch square netting - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Netting-Po...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

My run is 12 feet by 27 feet....I spanned aviation wire atop the perimeter and at three foot intervals across, tightened with turnbuckles....attach the netting with hog rings and you have something that will not sag and looks quite nice.

Last winter there was only one snowfall - heavy and wet - that really collected on the netting.
Knocking it down with a broom was quite easy. TWO inch netting - ONE inch might produce different results.

If you do have snow, I would advise against chicken wire on the top....I have heard too many stories of it all collapsing after snow accumulation....google for pics...there are many.

I am in Minneapolis - lots of snow - and use 2 inch square netting - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Netting-Poultry-Plant-Bird-Aviary-Fruit-Garden-Protection-Net-Nets-Long-Lasting/312003119558?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

My run is 12 feet by 27 feet....I spanned aviation wire atop the perimeter and at three foot intervals across, tightened with turnbuckles....attach the netting with hog rings and you have something that will not sag and looks quite nice.

Last winter there was only one snowfall - heavy and wet - that really collected on the netting.
Knocking it down with a broom was quite easy. TWO inch netting - ONE inch might produce different results.

If you do have snow, I would advise against chicken wire on the top....I have heard too many stories of it all collapsing after snow accumulation....google for pics...there are many.
Hmm good point about the snow accumulation, going to need to re think this.

Just finished enclosing a 10x25 run with hardware cloth. Would it be ok to close in the top of run with chicken wire? Or would raccoons climb in top and rip through it and fall in? Chickens will be closed in the coop at night anyway.
We have also used aviary netting from Amazon - it has lasted years and does catch sticks and leaves, but it's worth it. Once a raccoon managed to get between the netting and fence on the outside of the fence (netting was wrapped around and attached about 1 foot below top of the chain link - "sewn" on with paracord). It was apparently crawling sideways along the fence looking for a way to get over the top when it became entangled in a wad of netting at the corner and suffocated. Someone from the USDA came and removed it and tested it for rabies (negative of course). The USDA will apparently remove and test any wild mammal that unexpectedly dies near livestock - even though chickens don't get rabies! That is the closest anything has gotten to breaching the netting. (A couple of possums have gotten in when a gate was inadvertently left open. But they were apparently after food and maybe eggs and didn't harm the chickens, just stirred them up.) Once when the netting was off for some reason during the winter, a hawk killed one of the chickens, so I definitely recommend covering the run. (Our chickens have access to a larger fenced yard that is not covered, but they run to corners or under a tree when they see a hawk shadow in the daytime.) [ We're in north central WV about 70 miles south of Pittsburgh, PA and live in a suburban neighborhood that allows small flocks. We share the flock with a next door neighbor - a great arrangement for many reasons!]

I am in Minneapolis - lots of snow - and use 2 inch square netting - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Netting-Poultry-Plant-Bird-Aviary-Fruit-Garden-Protection-Net-Nets-Long-Lasting/312003119558?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

We probably got the same snow storm, I was out with a broom also!😉

Back
Top Bottom