Chicken wire or hardware cloth

Not really predator proof. Hawks and raccoons can go through chicken wire like it's warm butter. I use hardware cloth on my runs and coop.

The only thing chicken wire is good for is to keep chickens out of some place. Any predators that would kill and eat a chicken are able to get through chicken wire.

If you need to keep predators out, it will not be any good. You will need hardware cloth, 1/2 x 1/2 will do the job. Check the prices on Walmart and Amazon, they're the cheapest I have found.

Last edited:
Will one inch chicken wire be enough protection for my run?

There is no way that we could afford to do hardware cloth on our entire run. If you can, great but I don't worry about predators during the day here. Our chickens free range all day and if for some reason they get locked up for a bit chicken wire is fine. We did use hardware cloth on the coop itself though but even hardware cloth is not predator proof.

Thank you for your post. We can't afford hardware cloth either. Right now we have six hens and are using chicken wire combined with some garden fencing. For seven months all has been well. The new run will probably be the same (no hardware cloth unless I find a big roll in the street or something). We are doing the best we can to take care of things.

Thank you for your post.  We can't afford hardware cloth either.  Right now we have six hens and are using chicken wire combined with some garden fencing.  For seven months all has been well.  The new run will probably be the same (no hardware cloth unless I find a big roll in the street or something).  We are doing the best we can to take care of things.
I would definitely not use chicken wire on the coop itself. Sometimes hardware cloth is cheaper on Amazon and you want airflow inside the coop but it's pretty cheap for a small roll. Otherwise Lowes has been the cheapest we've found.

Back
Top Bottom