Chicken wire, sufficient?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by tororider, Mar 7, 2008.

1. tororider

tororider Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2008
    Southeast MI
    If I build my coop inside my garage, will an outdoor run built with 1" hex poultry wire be sufficient to keep them safe? They will be in the garage at night. I will bury the wire at least 6", probably a foot. What do you think?

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Chicken wire keeps chickens in and not much of anything else out. You would be better off using a welded wire and covering the bottom 3 ft with hardware cloth.

3. tororider

tororider Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2008
    Southeast MI
    Anyone know a good place to get hardware cloth cheap? I found on amazon that I can get a 48"x50' roll with 1/2"x1/2" holes for $57.81 plus shipping.

4. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

We get our harware cloth at Lowes in the garden department. It's about $47.00 for a roll of I think 150 feet.

No shipping cost, but it's bloody heavy. The 4 foot high roll fit in the trunk of my Chevy Cobalt with one seat down.

Em

5. Churkenduse

Churkenduse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    Go to Home Depot,

I use chicken wire and never had a problem

P.S. I live up against a Wild Life Refuge and there are lots to deal with, I do have a chain link fence and a (small) dog

Last edited: Mar 8, 2008
  6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Quote:You have been real lucky! Racoons can easily tear through chickens wire. Possums can chew through it! Chicken wire is not made like it used to be 40 yr ago.

7. Nupine

Nupine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2007
    Ohio
    I use some of both.

You got 150' of wire for $47 at Lowe's!!!!! We paid like $1 a foot at our feed store for the same stuff. It is so heavy though! I have a hard time dragging around 22' of it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by