Chicken Wire VS. Hardware Cloth (WHEN DOES PRICE BECOME UNREASONABLE?)

you need to drive out to the country and find a farmhouse that is littered with piles of junk. find the wire you want and offer 5 dollars

We use welded wire or chainlink and cover the bottom 2 or 3 feet with either alum. ag roof panels, hardware cloth, or chicken wire to prevent raccoons from reaching in and pulling chickens out.... piece by piece. gaaah

However, we do have a layer pen that is completely enclosed with just chickenwire that hasnt yet been broken into. Yet.

We use 1 x 2 welded wire and then have a couple feet of chicken wire on the other side / inside of the welded wire to keep any chicks from escaping or from coons being able to reach in as easily to grab the hens. We figure the coons won't be able to rip the chicken wire apart with the welded wire giving it extra strength. Our girls are all inside the closed coop at night so that mostly takes care of our #1 predator, coons.

people usually use 'hardware cloth' to refer to smaller meshes (1/2" or 1/4") of lighter gauge wire; 'welded wire mesh' to refer to heavier gauge and larger mesh size things.

Pat

I bought 1/2" x 4ft hardware cloth today. At Southern States they sell it by the foot if you don't need a whole roll. It is $1.75 per foot. I bought 32 feet for $54.00.

Quote:
In our country situation, spending the extra $$$ on hardware cloth has, I think, been our saving grace. I can occassionally "see' where something has/had tried to get into our run BUT they didn't/couldn't.

Fortunately, DH was with me when buildings the runs as far as price versus loses went.

We spent alot of $$$ on this run, Playhouse coop/Cattle panel run. We rent our property and the landlady has decided to be less than nice, recently. We spent enough money on this that it is the last thing that I'll be leaving behind as we've had no predator losses with this.

Dawn

Back
Top Bottom