Chicken wire

Bigred4

Hatching
May 17, 2020
What is the best way to put chicken wire around to coop and the run. Like it’s it smart to wrap the wire around the hole thing like the bottom or is it better to dog down into the ground. What is the best way to pull chicken wire to make it tight or is tight not good because animals can push throw it .? ??

What is the best way to put chicken wire around to coop and the run. Like it’s it smart to wrap the wire around the hole thing like the bottom or is it better to dog down into the ground. What is the best way to pull chicken wire to make it tight or is tight not good because animals can push throw it .? ??
The best way to put chicken wire around a run is to carry it around the run, put it in your car, take it back to where ever you bought it and return it. Then get a roll of 1/2" hardware cloth and either a box of 3/4" poultry staples or a box of galvanized fender washers and exterior grade screws to attach it with.
If you framed out 4' on center, you can run the strips vertically and fan them out 2' over the ground as a predator apron. Pin the outside edges down with landscape pins and let the grass grow back through.
Chicken wire does absolutely nothing to protect your chickens from predators. It only keeps the chickens in and nothing out.

Unfortunately chicken wire is useful for keeping chickens out of or in a restricted area, but it will not protect them as almost all predators can easily tear, chew, or pass through it and get right to their next meal. 1/2 inch hardware cloth (1/4 inch isn't very sturdy and almost feels more like a mesh) is going to be your best option. I have used chicken wire whenever I had to have something right then and didn't have time to go by the store to get hardware cloth, but I didn't leave my birds unattended until I was able to go back around with hardware cloth. After that experience, I will say that chicken wire is difficult to work with, in my opinion. I believe I had an extra flimsy roll, as it was nearly impossible to get taunt, without changing the octogan shapes in the wire, to a very squatty narrow octogans. Best wishes with your build and flock!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom