Chicken Wire

CritterHill

Crowing
15 Years
Feb 3, 2008
SE PA
So a quick google search tells me that chicken wire aka hex netting seems to be sold with 1 inch or 2 inch holes. Which would I want to fence in a run?

Or is there some other type of wire fencing that would be better? Where do y'all usually get yours?

I am assuming getting it locally is best because I can only imagine that shipping costs would be prohibitive.

Note that we have raccoons, hawks, and foxes. Would standard chicken wire be strong enough to keep the critters out?

Thanks.

Raccoons have pulled my chickens right through 1" chicken wire. I use 1/2" "rat wire" now. It's more expensive, but it works. For a large run, I'm going to try electric mesh fencing this year I think.

Last edited:
We have 1 inch in our pen. It's buried about 1 ft deep all the way around the pen, and it's covering the entire pen and run areas. So far (almost 1 year) we haven't had any critters getting in there. Our pen is approx 50' x 25'.
The 2 inch size may allow a critter to reach into your pen and grab a chickie, or a chickie may stick it's head through it and get grabbed.

Depending on the size of your pen plan to spend some bucks--you might want to check your local craigslist to see if anyone is sellng some. You could save some money that way.
We got our chicken wire at Tractor Supply and Menards and it was pretty pricey.
Good luck with your chickies!
smile.png

When building my coop and pen I was told to use welded wire 1" x 1" which will work for grown chickens and 1/2" x 1/2" for chicks. You will need to lay the wire mesh at least 10 - 12" into the ground so that the critters don't dig and get under the fencing. We've been sucessful so far (cross my fingers). We did lose one hen to a hawk.

Good luck with your pen.

Ok, thanks folks. I'll look for something 1 inch or less (maybe less near the bottom). Unfortunately, I don't think we can bury the fencing due to the fact that half our soil is volkswagon sized boulders.

Someone on another thread had suggested laying the wire flat on the ground a few feet out from the fence to keep the burrowers out. We'll have to hope that works!

If you double layered the 1" chciken wire so that the holes were less than 1" would this be considered safe? That is the option I'm weighing. For the width my DH wants to use on the run I can get a 150 ft. roll of the chicken wire for $20 less than the same width in a 50ft roll of the 1x1.
We do have racoons in the area so safety first, but if I can save the money by buying the chicken wire and layering it, I can put it towards other fun extras on the coop.
roll.png

I don't have it yet, but I think 1/2" hardware cloth is very predator proof, especially if you turn it outward a foot and bury it under dirt so nothing can dig under and in. Right now I have 18 gauge utility wire with 3"x2" openings. It's OK for my grown large hen, but I worry about the Seramas (both grown) being hurt by a daytime predator through the openings. None of my chickens can get through it, but I bet baby chicks sure could! I plan to put the 1/2" hardware cloth around the bottom to 5 ft. up at least very soon. I close my birds up in the coop at night so it's only daytime predators I fret about.

Quote:
We have the same problem here in TX. Couldn't bury the wire to save our lives; too much rock
sad.png
We just bent it out about 12 - 18" and then covered it with dirt. So far no critters and I'm not constantly catching my boots on the wire since it's covered. Good luck and keep us posted. BTW.....where in SE PA? That's my ole' neck of the woods.

Back
Top Bottom