Chicken Wire

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by 7L Farm, Jul 27, 2010.

1. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    That's what i used but this forum says it doesn't work.Then why has it been around for ever.

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Chicken wire contains chickens just fine. Chicken wire would be pretty much useless for containing...say...a raccoon or a sturdy dog...which is why it's not called raccoon wire...lol. It will keep your chickens from roaming away, but won't keep a raccoon or dog from "roaming" its way into your run or coop and making itself a delicious chicken sandwich. Some folks get lucky and never have a predator issue, while many others constantly battle them (and learn the hard way just why it's called chicken wire rather than raccoon wire).
    It's a very cheap option that's been around for years because many people expect to lose chickens here and there...no big deal. It does its job; it contains chickens.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

What teach1rusl said. Exactly.

4. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:I would not say cheap.

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Perhaps you are using a different definition of "work" than many of us are.

Me, I would only say a type of fencing "works" if it holds up to concerted attack by a predator.

Merely having never happened to be seriously TESTED by a predator trying to get in is luck, not strength.

Also, there are older styles of chickenwire around that are made of heavier-gauge wire and *are* significantly stronger than the stuff that makes up 98% of what's being sold today. Some of the older-style heavier-gauge chickenwire would indeed require a pretty large serious dog to get through it, and would be more or less ok versus other predators.

Still, on the whole, my observation is that most of the people saying 'chickenwire works fine for me' are simply using the "nothing bad has happened yet" sense of the term.

Those who are happy with that arrangement, great -- but I do not think it makes sense to recommend 'rely on luck' to OTHERS.

JMHO,

Pat

6. NevadaRon

NevadaRon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Dayton
    You're right - chicken wire was more heavy duty in the old days! I knew when I was looking at it at the store something didn't seem right, but it didn't click until I read your post. I guess the wire you get now is all made in China? [​IMG]

7. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    You can't blame China. Blame the US manufacturers who export jobs to China in order to be able to order it made cheap.

Quote:

8. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    It's mostly the gauge of the wire (thickness). I've rarely seen chicken wire in a lower gauge than 20, which is quite thin. The other problem is that with chicken wire, the strands are woven together, rather than welded, which makes for a weaker structure.

Maybe in the "olden days" they made chicken wire in lower gauge.

9. ND

ND Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    We're making our run out of chicken wire... well, sort of. It's built the same, looks similar, however-- it's called 'apron fence' or 'dig barrier' fence... and it's 15 gauge-- the 'standard' chicken wire found in the stores is 20 gauge usually. It's designed for the bottom foot to bend over and be the dig barrier.

The fence we're using is *barely* thinner than the 14 gauge welded wire. *I* can easily bend the welded wire, and even *snap* the welds with not much force actually... I can't break the kind of chicken wire we've bought-- but that doesn't mean a predator can't. We are using it as our run-- I don't think it's 100% predator proof, BUT- our chickens will be locked in the hen house every night (that is as Fort Knox tight as we can possibly get it! Any openings/windows are being secured with hardware cloth in the house.) and their run is also inside ANOTHER fenced area.

I'm most concerned about coons around here... but our dogs also patrol the grounds around the fenced yard the run will be in, so I'm hoping... since they'll be secured inside nightly, we'll be decently predator proof otherwise. (crossing fingers)

I wouldn't rely on the standard 20 gauge chicken wire to even deter a fairly small dog... it's super easy to stretch and tear out of shape with bare hands.

BUT, it'd keep chickens IN.

10. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Where did you find 15 gauge chicken wire? That's really interesting.

I've used 16 gauge welded wire before, and that stuff is pretty thick and strong...it was very hard to cut by hand with wire cutters.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by