Chicken with Anxiety

aaoddancer14

Chirping
5 Years
May 25, 2015
Curious to hear some thoughts/advice about this.

I got a message last night from someone telling me that their neighbor got silkies and put them in with their other chickens, including some very aggressive roosters. They were getting picked on so badly that she was afraid they were going to be killed, and I have a few silkie hens so I agreed to take them.

One of them is doing alright, but the other one has very few feathers left and it was so freaked out and scared when I got her that she was very hold to hold on to and get back to my house. She still has EXTREME anxiety and won’t let anyone or anything near her except for her other chicken friend. She runs in circles and gets scared over the tiniest sound. I’ve never seen a chicken so panicked and freaked out in my life. Any thoughts on how to handle the anxiousness would be appreciated.

Curious to hear some thoughts/advice about this.

I got a message last night from someone telling me that their neighbor got silkies and put them in with their other chickens, including some very aggressive roosters. They were getting picked on so badly that she was afraid they were going to be killed, and I have a few silkie hens so I agreed to take them.

One of them is doing alright, but the other one has very few feathers left and it was so freaked out and scared when I got her that she was very hold to hold on to and get back to my house. She still has EXTREME anxiety and won’t let anyone or anything near her except for her other chicken friend. She runs in circles and gets scared over the tiniest sound. I’ve never seen a chicken so panicked and freaked out in my life. Any thoughts on how to handle the anxiousness would be appreciated.

How is she doing now?
How old?

Where are you keeping her?
I agree, keeping her and her friend separated out so you can monitor them and let her get de-stressed would be a good idea.

For stress - I would also put some electrolytes in the water or if you have them - poultry vitamins for a couple of days.

When she's calmer - check her over and see if she has injuries. You may need to just sit beside where you are keeping her and talk or read a book - let her hear you. Don't look directly at her. If her friend is more friendly, then do pay attention - sometimes the other will watch and see her friend is remaining calm - sometimes not. Give her time to warm up - this can take a while so don't give up - just go slow.

If you can, put a lawn chair up near the new birds and just sit quietly and read a book, and just relax. The new birds will get used to your presence and calm down. Offer some feed or a bit of grain tossed gently near them (not at them) and give them time to investigate. They will get used to their new home in time. Always move quietly with no sudden movements.

How is she doing now?
How old?

Where are you keeping her?
I agree, keeping her and her friend separated out so you can monitor them and let her get de-stressed would be a good idea.

For stress - I would also put some electrolytes in the water or if you have them - poultry vitamins for a couple of days.

When she's calmer - check her over and see if she has injuries. You may need to just sit beside where you are keeping her and talk or read a book - let her hear you. Don't look directly at her. If her friend is more friendly, then do pay attention - sometimes the other will watch and see her friend is remaining calm - sometimes not. Give her time to warm up - this can take a while so don't give up - just go slow.

To answer your question, they are about 3/4 full grown. They’re doing a bit better now that I brought her and her friend home and she’s had some time to settle in, I’m going to try and spend real day outside with her and see what happens. Thanks!

To answer your question, they are about 3/4 full grown. They’re doing a bit better now that I brought her and her friend home and she’s had some time to settle in, I’m going to try and spend real day outside with her and see what happens. Thanks!
I hope she comes around. Sounds like she's in good hands!

Back
Top Bottom