chicken with bad breath

Tammys kevin

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 25, 2012
i have a 2 month old silkie pullet that has had a runny nose and seriously bad breath for 8 days, I gave her some olive oil and rubbed her crop for a while, and put apple cider vinegar and garlic in her water, and vitamins but there has been no change, she smells like old sweaty cheese :/ she's alert and eating fine, her droppings haven't changed, im not sure what else to do

Hi there!

What does her crop feel like first thing on a morning? Empty or squishy like a water balloon?
Squishy like a water balloon usually means sour crop which creates the most fowl smell!

I've not heard of a runny nose with sour crop though (?).

Have you checked inside her mouth and throat? Might be a long shot, but just in case anything is stuck in there and going mouldy.

Best of luck, I hope you can find what's wrong x

Smells like cheese? She has a infection of the upper respiratory tract.

Hi there!

What does her crop feel like first thing on a morning? Empty or squishy like a water balloon?
Squishy like a water balloon usually means sour crop which creates the most fowl smell!

I've not heard of a runny nose with sour crop though (?).

Have you checked inside her mouth and throat? Might be a long shot, but just in case anything is stuck in there and going mouldy.

Best of luck, I hope you can find what's wrong x

her crop is always empty in the mornings, I don't feed them after 5 as i've heard if they go to bed with a full crop it can cause sour crop

I tried to look in her mouth but she's a wriggly little thing, its near impossible!

Last edited:
It sounds a bit like coryza. An antibiotic like sulfadimethoxine (brand names Albon, Sulfamed-G, and Di-Methox) might be good to try. Tylan 50 might treat any respiratory infection.

she has been on antibiotics for 3 days and is definitely less smelly :D thanks for all the information

her crop is always empty in the mornings, I don't feed them after 5 as i've heard if they go to bed with a full crop it can cause sour crop

I tried to look in her mouth but she's a wriggly little thing, its near impossible!

I didn't notice this post earlier, but this isn't true. Most people want their chickens to have a full crop at bedtime. Sour crop is thought to be a fungal infection where the crop doesn't empty. They sometimes get it while they have other problems (such as cocci or other infections.) I'm glad to hear she is on the mend.

Back
Top Bottom