Chicken with balding breast and reddening skin?

A lot of my hens have similar bald patches on their chests. Mine get it by sticking their heads through chain link fencing to get at whatever is on the other side. The feathers get stuck in the fence and get ripped out.

I‘m not sure if this could be an option for your birds, but I figured I’d throw that out there ;)

I have the same questions. We discovered this on our poor sweet Betty's belly. She's not broody, not molting, sleeps on a smooth perch, and all behavior is normal. I can't see any parasites on her. Is the red skin a staph infection?
IMG-4504.jpg

She got new tail feathers and back feathers. a while ago i saw tiny growing feathers on her breast, but they were torn or something because now there is only a few stubs. i guess she could be picked on but that's a weird spot for another hen to choose. two of my other hens have begun to look like her, with torn breast feathers. maybe it is mites, but i checked the roosting bar and i didn't see anything. i have diatomaceous earth in my run and in my coop. she still doesn't seem to be bugged by it and doesn't fuss with it, so i think i should leave it be.

Back
Top Bottom