CHICKEN WITH BLACKHEAD DISEASE please help !!

T
So very sorry for your loss. She was a beautiful hen.
Thank you i thought so too. 😢
Yeah I get that is there any way you can get a friend or someone cut her open for you then take pics and post them here and our experts will be able to help determine her cause of death if it’s something that can be seen without special tests so you know what it was and how to treat your flock. I’m really sorry that she ended up dying and I really hope no more do.
Thank you i will see. I have had the flock on oregano ool in their water for the past week bc oregano oil is supposed to help with this. So far everybody else seems ok

So here are some pics if i can get my phone to cooperate. I am sad to say she died this morning. You can see the black on her wattles. I believe the black on her beak is not natural coloring. I took a couple pics of her post mortem too to show the black mottling on her face which is not natural coloring. Weirdly the black on her comb faded when she started the metronidazole but you can still see it. I hope i havent sounded snippy but its because i am so frustrated and sad when im helpless to know what it is.
Oh no! It’s so hard to lose a hen that you care about! I haven’t lost one yet but the thought is to hard to think about. I’m so sorry your hen sounded sweet!

Ive already buried her. I supposecould get a friend to help me and dig her up again. I got that advice from someone else but i couldnt bring myself to do that alone
So i found fresh yellow foamy poop in the barn this morning. So yeah its confirmed. What can i do? I want to deworm the flock but i think there are chicks in the flock that are too young for dewormer? 4 1/2 weeks and they are still with their mother. Of course i picked up the poop and disposed of it. I had 1st Saturday Limethat i used after i discovered Sheena was sick but in all the stress now i cant find it. Would Denagard help at all? I know its for Mycoplasma but it can be used to target avian intestinal spirochetes so would it be any use? They are still acting ok so i'm trying to hurry and do as much as i can. I called the vet too but have not heard back. Help, help please!

Last edited:
So i found fresh yellow foamy poop in the barn this morning. So yeah its confirmed. What can i do?
To confirm, you need to look at the hen's liver.
Wouls Denagard help at all? I know its for Mycoplasma but it can be used to target avian intestinal spirochetes?
No, it will not help.

If I were you, I would dig her up and do the necropsy.
I talked to our avian vet and she said not to do that. If another bird dies, she says she will do a necropsy for me. Which I prefer. I also discovered that a friend of mine who has a large flock, revealed two days ago to me that she had had a lot deaths in her flock. Today i asked her what the symptoms were and what color their droppings were. Well, yeah. She had to go look but then reported Lethargy and "mustard colored" droppings. She was at our place ten days ago. Wonderful. Since she said she's had a lot of deaths over the past few weeks, and we have had none except yesterday, I'm pretty sure that she brought it here, but hard to say for sure. Not sure why she didn't think to mention it before now....but she doesn't really care about her birds.

Our vet also said it sounds like Blackhead, but again, not fs without a necropsy. She said to deworm the flock with Levasol and it should not hurt the chicks, but added that deworming does not do much if it is Blackhead. She said to keep the flock on the Oregano Oil for a while, but not during the deworming phase.

Last edited:
So i found fresh yellow foamy poop in the barn this morning. So yeah its confirmed. What can i do? I want to deworm the flock but i think there are chicks in the flock that are too young for dewormer? 4 1/2 weeks and they are still with their mother. Of course i picked up the poop and disposed of it. I had 1st Saturday Limethat i used after i discovered Sheena was sick but in all the stress now i cant find it. Would Denagard help at all? I know its for Mycoplasma but it can be used to target avian intestinal spirochetes so would it be any use? They are still acting ok so i'm trying to hurry and do as much as i can. I called the vet too but have not heard back. Help, help please!
Yellow foamy poop is worms?

Back
Top Bottom