Chicken with Broke Toe

BYChickenAl

Chirping
Apr 7, 2017
Troy, IL USA
Broken or dislocated... She has a toe that is obviously not like the others..bent sideways at a knuckle.. and she has great difficulty walking on it. No other obvious injury to the leg. The others in the flock have been pecking at her so I've isolated her in a covered run. Do I attempt to straighten and splint it or just leave it alone? She's five months old and she just started laying for the first time this past weekend as well.

I would splint it. Here is a short article with a couple of pictures: http://diydiva.net/2013/04/wherein-i-splint-a-chicken-toe/
Lots of ways to do it. If you can't get a splint to stay on the single toe, you can also use a lid from a plastic container, cut a circle or foot shaped piece, and tape the toes to that in their proper position, similar to what you would do for a chick with curled toes. Some birds will work at whatever you put on there and try to get it off, so you may have to experiment. Vetwrap is the best thing to use as it doesn't stick to the bird, but you may have to use tape. It will take several weeks to heal, and I would try to minimize any jumping that she does. Just make sure that it is tight enough to do the job, but not too tight (check regularly), and that whatever splinting material you use does not cut into or rub the area. cardboard or tag board rolled around it might work, lots of options, be creative. Many chickens do fine with crooked, misshapen toes, but depending on how the toe hits the ground it could become a likely area for bumblefoot to develop so I would try to get it as close to normal as you can.

I would splint it. Here is a short article with a couple of pictures: http://diydiva.net/2013/04/wherein-i-splint-a-chicken-toe/
Lots of ways to do it. If you can't get a splint to stay on the single toe, you can also use a lid from a plastic container, cut a circle or foot shaped piece, and tape the toes to that in their proper position, similar to what you would do for a chick with curled toes. Some birds will work at whatever you put on there and try to get it off, so you may have to experiment. Vetwrap is the best thing to use as it doesn't stick to the bird, but you may have to use tape. It will take several weeks to heal, and I would try to minimize any jumping that she does. Just make sure that it is tight enough to do the job, but not too tight (check regularly), and that whatever splinting material you use does not cut into or rub the area. cardboard or tag board rolled around it might work, lots of options, be creative. Many chickens do fine with crooked, misshapen toes, but depending on how the toe hits the ground it could become a likely area for bumblefoot to develop so I would try to get it as close to normal as you can.
The photo in that article looks just like my girl's toe. The difference is they say their chicken was getting around fine. Mine has a horrible limp. I'm going to attempt to splint it. Fortunate I have someone to help...my girl is large and very strong so it'll be a two-person job. Thanks for the inputs.

I may have the same problem with one of my chickens. she seems to be fine but runs a little funny. was wondering what I should do.

Attachments

• WP_20170809_003.jpg
    WP_20170809_003.jpg
    405.6 KB · Views: 244
  • WP_20170809_001.jpg
    WP_20170809_001.jpg
    318.5 KB · Views: 232
I may have the same problem with one of my chickens. she seems to be fine but runs a little funny. was wondering what I should do.

Hi @ThenewRoosterintown
How long has her feet been like this?
How old is she?
It looks like she may have suffered from vitamin B2 deficiency (curled toes) at an early age or a genetic/developmental disorder? Sometimes it's not possible to correct the feet when they are older.

I agree with Wyorp Rock. Looks like crooked/twisted toes, rather than an injury.
Here is one link: https://poultrykeeper.com/skeletal-and-muscular-disorders/crooked-toes/
I have read about people trying to splint, but most are not successful. Usually issues like this are most successfully treated when chicks. If she is getting around OK then I'd probably just leave her be, and just watch for bumblefoot, which can sometimes happen where toes hit the ground abnormally. Also you may need to trim her nails occasionally as they may not wear down properly from walking and scratching. And try to keep the area free of rocks and things she could hurt her feet on. They can adapt fairly well to deformities often times.

Hi @ThenewRoosterintown
How long has her feet been like this?
How old is she?
It looks like she may have suffered from vitamin B2 deficiency (curled toes) at an early age or a genetic/developmental disorder? Sometimes it's not possible to correct the feet when they are older.
She is about 3 months old and her diet was the same as all of the others, the chick starter crumbles. I do give them teats from time to time mostly left overs out of the fridge. I have 30 pullets so I didn't notice it right away. If I were a betting man I'd put my money toward the early injury or the genetic/development disorder rather than the vitamin deficiency. she seems to fine for now I am more worried about her for when she gets older and any complications she might have.

She is about 3 months old and her diet was the same as all of the others, the chick starter crumbles. I do give them teats from time to time mostly left overs out of the fridge. I have 30 pullets so I didn't notice it right away. If I were a betting man I'd put my money toward the early injury or the genetic/development disorder rather than the vitamin deficiency. she seems to fine for now I am more worried about her for when she gets older and any complications she might have.

It's just hard to know what the cause it. Parent stock health/deficiencies would play a role in development. Vitamin deficiencies are common in chickens, even when fed a balanced poultry feed. It won't hurt to add B vitamins to her feed once a week or direct dose her with poultry vitamins to give her a boost.

As she gets older and gains weight, she may have problems getting around. If you are planning on breeding your flock, she would be one you would not want to hatch any eggs from. Otherwise, just keep watch on her and see how it goes.

So how did all the chickens turn out? Did anyone fix the crooked toe? Our Orpington suddenly has the same, inner toe on both feet turned askew. She's walking fine but the joint looks swollen. I can't tug the 2 bones apart (hopefully not dislocated or broken) but that could be the natural tightening of tendons around a joint.
crooked toe pics.jpg
crooked toe pics.jpg

Attachments

• crooked toe.jpg
    crooked toe.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 122
The photo in that article looks just like my girl's toe. The difference is they say their chicken was getting around fine. Mine has a horrible limp. I'm going to attempt to splint it. Fortunate I have someone to help...my girl is large and very strong so it'll be a two-person job. Thanks for the inputs.
Did the splint resolve your toe issue? I have one with the same issue.

Back
Top Bottom