chicken with diarrhea

Quote:
My next question was going to be the one that SmittenChicken already asked, about the temps. My chicks, but not my adult birds, are having alot of loose stools right now. It's extremely hot here and they have gone off their feed quite a bit, preferring to hang around the waterer instead.
You might try some plain yogurt to get her GI tract back on an even keel. Give her nothing else but her regular chick feed (starter or grower).

Quote:
My next question was going to be the one that SmittenChicken already asked, about the temps. My chicks, but not my adult birds, are having alot of loose stools right now. It's extremely hot here and they have gone off their feed quite a bit, preferring to hang around the waterer instead.
You might try some plain yogurt to get her GI tract back on an even keel. Give her nothing else but her regular chick feed (starter or grower).

I think that the worms are coming back in her. Before i gave the final dose of the medicine she used to stand with her eyes closed for quite some time. After i gave her the medicine i found worms in her droppings and later on she became more vivid. Unfortunately i have NO medicine and she is standing with her eyes closed again. Is there any natural anti-worm remedy? The vet told me that i can give the medicine only for 3 days (normally). In her i gave it for 4.

Any help is more than welcome.

Last edited:
Quote:

I think that the worms are coming back in her. Before i gave the final dose of the medicine she used to stand with her eyes closed for quite some time. After i gave her the medicine i found worms in her droppings and later on she became more vivid. Unfortunately i have NO medicine and she is standing with her eyes closed again. Is there any natural anti-worm remedy? The vet told me that i can give the medicine only for 3 days (normally). In her i gave it for 4.

Any help is more than welcome.

I know some folks use cayene pepper as a natural wormer, while others use a combination of buttermilk and pumpkin seeds. You
might try a search here on BYC in the emergencies/illness category using those two things as your key words - "cayene pepper" and "pumpkin seeds".
I use a chemical wormer myself, but would be hesitant to recommend it considering her system is likely already stressed from the initial worming.

Poor bird. She is sleeping now. I hope that i will be able to find something tomorrow.

Quote:
Thanks for the link!! Kind of "ick" but very helpfull. Now I know what I was worried about is really normal!

You are welcome. I can remember first starting out with chickens, seeing what I now know is ceceal poo, being worried but too afraid to ask.
wink.png

I read in another BYC thread that 1 tablespoon of Raw, Organic Apple Cider Vinegar (must not be pasteurized) per gallon of water can be used to treat/prevent worms. I'm thinking this is probably not enough to help your little one at this point and that you need something stronger - I think I have also heard that food-grade diatomaceous earth (DE) can be used to deworm when mixed into food?
Not sure if you have either of these things laying around and if they'd actually do the trick, but it might be worth a try. Hope that your little chick can make a recovery!

Back
Top Bottom