Chicken with egg shell stuck in vent!!! I NEED HELP NOW!!!!!!!

Pics
She is currently in our fenced in dog yard with 3 other hens and is SO happy. She is BEGGING to be let out to free range. The rest of the flock is in the run so she would only be with three hens. Is it a bad idea to let her out? What do yall think?
Since it would not change which hens she has contact with, and she's acting healthy, I can't see any reason to keep her in, other than the obvious:
--might be hard to catch her again
--usual dangers of free ranging (like predators)

you must get is out somehow is she a pullet if so it is normal to have no shell on their first egg or two
Found hen hunched with egg white hanging from vent, vent looked like had egg shape bulging but there was egg white hanging, she then passed the egg white and yolk but theres shell hanging out!! Shes not standing right and I got a rubber glove and just tried to feel if it was a soft shell or hard and just wanted to see if it would shift and it won't. Its sorta hard but not totally. I feel like im gonna rip or cut something if I pull it. HELP HELP HELP!!!!!!!!!

Since it would not change which hens she has contact with, and she's acting healthy, I can't see any reason to keep her in, other than the obvious:
--might be hard to catch her again
--usual dangers of free ranging (like predators)
Ok. What about her being around a rooster? I never saw the egg shell come out or anything and I don't want anything to set her back. Would a rooster trying to mate with her mess something up?

Ok. What about her being around a rooster? I never saw the egg shell come out or anything and I don't want anything to set her back. Would a rooster trying to mate with her mess something up?
A rooster does not have any part that goes inside the hen during mating, so no worries there.

But just having the rooster stand on her back during mating might be a problem if she is not feeling well.

So I would probably wait until she seems completely healthy before allowing access to the rooster, just because it's best to avoid stress while she's not feeling well. If there is any other reason to avoid mating, I do not know of it.

A few days ago I put Karen in the dog yard with a few other hens and let her stay out for hours. My family and I ate dinner out there and watched as they pecked around. She kept improving and so finally I put her in her crate in the barn so the hens could come and visit her. After a day in the barn, I decided it was time. I slowly unhooked the top of the crate and slid it off. She froze. She was so surprised it wasn't keeping her in that she sat there for a minute. I didn't want to force her so I just waited. After a moment, my hen who gets picked on, Mango came running in to see her, saw she was free and RAN out the door like "common Karen lets go!!! You're FREE!!!!!!!" Finally Karen got the hint and cautiously stepped out of her crate that had been her home for over a week. She then walked out of the barn and the instant she saw her flock she ran the fastest I've seen her run and flapped her wings hard until she got there. It almost brought tears to my eyes to see her so happy. I was careful to watch her, but the flock just accepted her and didn't bother her, and she later took a dust bath, picked around, and just ran with the flock. I continued her antibiotics until yesterday, which was day ten. She is doing so much better that I can no longer tell her apart from the other chickens. She acts fine seems to be back to normal. I wanted to thank you all so much for your help. You helped me figure out what to do right when I needed help. Karen wouldn't be alive today without your help. I'm so glad I could help her. I just have a few last questions. Do you think Karen will ever lay eggs again? And do you think the egg shell disintegrated or something?

Hey yall. Karen has been doing awesome. I found an egg the other day that is odd. Do you think it is hers? I found a very thinned shelled egg broken in the nesting box today. The article below says egg shells can thin an look odd from lots of antibiotics and calcium. She was on calcium and antibiotics twice a day for ten days.
1651461112823.png
1651461156992.png

Hey yall. Karen has been doing awesome. I found an egg the other day that is odd. Do you think it is hers? I found a very thinned shelled egg broken in the nesting box today. The article below says egg shells can thin an look odd from lots of antibiotics and calcium. She was on calcium and antibiotics twice a day for ten days. View attachment 3088616View attachment 3088617
I’m not sure about the egg but I’m so glad she’s doing good!!

Back
Top Bottom