chicken with foamy eyes

randani70

Hatching
Jun 18, 2015
Virginia

Let me start from the beginning, I had 19 birds all a year old. I went to a chicken swap and built 9 4 -10week old baby's all mutts, ( Impose decision thou I did want birds I just settled) I let them in the flock a week later seemed to be ok. Well one month later notice 3 of them were roos and I cant have a rooster. So I went to the swap and brought them back like she said I could. Then I built 5 18 week old red sexlinks. Let them in the flock a week later all heck broke loose. They fought bad, they did not like the new birds in the flock. The new birds didn't like the birds from the swap it was ww3 in there. But it settled down, the 5 pullets do stay to them selves for the most part thou but it is not bad anymore. Well I noticed one of my black auslorps was sneezing I didn't think anything of it, I looked it over and it looked fine. ( it sleeps right against fan figured it was dust maybe.) with in 2 week later about 3 more birds started sneezing the black austrolorp is fine now, but one barb rock sneezes all day, No discard from eyes or nose and I check them all everyday because im keeping a eye on them all. at night I notice a lot of sneezing, at least 4 or 5 birds, but no discard. Well this morning I went to do a inspection of my birds and noticed one of the reds that has had no sneezing towards the top of my pecking order has this horrible discard from both eyes, and nose. ( no sneezing thou, and acts fine thou I did see her walk right up to another bird below it and the bird freaked out and attacked it and ran away). I will attach pictures in this. I was wondering what medicines could I buy or home cures can I do. Without a vet, not trying to spend thousands of dollars. But I want my girls to be ok, I took her and put her in the run by herself. and gave my birds the run of the yard and coop. is that far enough away or should I put her in my vented dog create I own.

Last edited:
So I took them pictures 3 hours ago just checked on her she looks great still no sneezeing no discharge at all and looks fine.... I'm really confused now... She is still Corentine

I copied this from a poultry disease site. There are many places you can look by just describing symptoms.

Mycoplasma gallisepticum: signs can include foamy eyes, sneezing, nasal discharge, swollen eyelids and sinuses, reduced egg production and gasping in chickens, turkeys and pheasants, swollen sinuses in waterfowl. This one is the main culprit in backyard flocks.

You can look up medications and cures.

Lol here's one from Backyard Chickens! Infectious Coryza and chickens, Its like a severe cold.
www.backyardchickens.com/.../infectious-coryza-and-chickens-its-like-a-se...
May 22, 2012 - 10 posts - ‎8 authors
Swollen Eyes, Open mouth breathing, Bubbles in the corners of the eyes, Pale face, Sneezing and coughing and gasping ,Runny nose, Loss of appetite and not drinking water , Not laying eggs regularly as before ,And the surefire last symptom that is a giveaway they have Infectious Coryza is a putrid smell coming from the ...

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/82/infectious-coryza/

Let me start from the beginning, I had 19 birds all a year old. I went to a chicken swap and built 9 4 -10week old baby's all mutts, ( Impose decision thou I did want birds I just settled) I let them in the flock a week later seemed to be ok. Well one month later notice 3 of them were roos and I cant have a rooster. So I went to the swap and brought them back like she said I could. Then I built 5 18 week old red sexlinks. Let them in the flock a week later all heck broke loose. They fought bad, they did not like the new birds in the flock. The new birds didn't like the birds from the swap it was ww3 in there. But it settled down, the 5 pullets do stay to them selves for the most part thou but it is not bad anymore. Well I noticed one of my black auslorps was sneezing I didn't think anything of it, I looked it over and it looked fine. ( it sleeps right against fan figured it was dust maybe.) with in 2 week later about 3 more birds started sneezing the black austrolorp is fine now, but one barb rock sneezes all day, No discard from eyes or nose and I check them all everyday because im keeping a eye on them all. at night I notice a lot of sneezing, at least 4 or 5 birds, but no discard. Well this morning I went to do a inspection of my birds and noticed one of the reds that has had no sneezing towards the top of my pecking order has this horrible discard from both eyes, and nose. ( no sneezing thou, and acts fine thou I did see her walk right up to another bird below it and the bird freaked out and attacked it and ran away). I will attach pictures in this. I was wondering what medicines could I buy or home cures can I do. Without a vet, not trying to spend thousands of dollars. But I want my girls to be ok, I took her and put her in the run by herself. and gave my birds the run of the yard and coop. is that far enough away or should I put her in my vented dog create I own.

I currently have one like that. I started her on antibiotics last night & brought her inside, how long do I keep her separated? She’s eating & drinking fine. Can she free range during the day outside with the others? Or no?

Back
Top Bottom