Chicken with huge mass at the back no egg felt

daxigait

Free Ranging
8 Years
Aug 10, 2015
SW Missouri
I checked in the vent tried putting her in some warm water and gave her some lube but I don't feel any egg but there's a huge hard Mass bigger than my fist at the back of her
13986.jpeg
13986.jpeg

That's great information, but I don't think that's what's going on because nothing is actually coming out of her vent it's below at the base and back of her body and it's hard and of course all the skin around it is real red at this point. At least it was last night I'm not sure she survived the night. I would like to know what it could have been and what I might not be doing so that it doesn't happen to another hen.

As I view your photos, they look more like an abstract painting than parts of a chicken's anatomy. Photos are two dimensional and when you provide no context (showing where it's located by showing the whole chicken's body), and when it's unfocused as well, a photo provides very little information.

You need to write a "story" to go with it. Age, laying history, any chronic issues, behavior, photos and description of her poop, what led up to this issue, etc. We are not there to observe and examine the chicken. You are. A photo isn't enough. You have to supply words.

I guess in my attempt to do a close up it does look more like an abstract. I will do my best to give you what information I can but my chickens are just farm animals and so I have a limited knowledge base on them individually. Anyway I noticed Sunday afternoon when I let them out for a little while that she stayed in it's kind of like she was digging in the dirt but I'm guessing at this point she already had that growth. Anyway I came home yesterday when I went to feed I found her tilted forward head down kind of laying in the dirt I thought she had died. When I touched her though she moved. And I picked her up and immediately became obvious she had a large Mass that starts between her legs and extends back towards the event and it hangs down it's hard. It's bigger than my fist and though I'm the lady I wear a men's large glove. Anyway thinking possibly she had an egg stuck I put her in an Epsom salt bath for a little while and put some OB lube in a syringe and pushed it in just a couple of cc's. When I got done with chores I put on a glove to try to check her out but one finger in and couldn't feel anything in there it almost felt like the mass was in a different part of her body below it. I dried her off and then asked the question. I don't know if she was alive this morning because I left very early. I didn't know what else I could do I had read about doing the calcium and I actually tried to see if there was fluid I could draw out with a 3cc needle and either it's too thick or it was deeper in but I didn't want to puncture anything so I was just a little bit under the skin.

Can you check later today if the lump is hard or soft? Would it be possible to get another picture? Does she lay eggs? Occasionally a hen will have a prolapse that contains an egg on the outside, as in the video below:

I'm not sure she survived the night. I would like to know what it could have been and what I might not be doing so that it doesn't happen to another hen.
If she dies, you could cut the body open and look. That might tell you a lot about it. For example, it might be an egg in there, or it might be a tumor, or it might be filled with fluid, or it might be something that I haven't even thought ot.

For whether you can prevent it happening to another hen, that would depend on what caused it. Some things are caused by conditions you can change, and some things just happen anyway and there's nothing you can do.

I will check her when I get home and take a picture again. I honestly don't think it's a prolapse or an egg on the outside anyway the vent seems normal but this mass is below it and much bigger than an egg.

Warning graphic photos!
I took pictures of her backed up a little bit so it wasn't so abstract and then I took pictures of the mass I pulled out and what it looks like after I cut it open. IMG_20221101_173920148.jpg IMG_20221101_173906556.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20221101_173715734_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221101_173715734_HDR.jpg
    762.9 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom