Chicken with manky comb - what is it?

It could be squamous cell cancer. Hard to know for sure, but it looks slow growing. A necropsy after death is she dies could get a diagnosis, but since she seems to be doing well in her environment, I would just let her enjoy her life.

I agree but if she can do a biopsy of a skin or tissue it will be really helpful for her to understand

People dub chickens' combs all the time so you can probably just whack off the shriveled up growth with little effort or problems, send it to the poultry lab and have it tested.
You just need something very sharp. There's something known as dubbing sheers.

Thank you for the photos and update! Very interesting.
I would be inclined to just leave this girl alone. You mention she seems happy and estimated age is 10yrs. I would let her live out her life uninterrupted/stress free from being poked/prodded. Continue to see after her like you have been doing.

If she passes and you find the body, then it would be a curiosity to examine or even send samples to your state lab to figure out what it might be.

That is certainly a thought, but the base of the comb appears plenty thick. Bleeding can be problematic in dubbing. I think @Saaniya has some experience with that.

Yea she can dub
I dub my rooster with thick comb yes @Eggcessive is saying right that bleeding is a concern my tootoo bleed alot but we stop his bleeding with ice water compress but bleeding comes back minorly for 24h

It's a strict care process

Back
Top Bottom