Pics

RodNTN

Hatchaolic
8 Years
May 22, 2013
The Volunteer State
My Coop
My Coop
My favorite hen "Bibby" a Black Australorp, has been acting wrong since yesterday afternoon. She is my friendliest chicken, she's actually more like a dog than a chicken. She prefers to hang around people more than her flock. It poured the rain all morning yesterday, so I kept them in the the coop until about 3 pm. When I opened the door she was walking around in circles, with her head bent backwards on her back. Every time she did this with her head her head would shake. She was eating and drinking on her own.
After she had been free ranging yesterday afternoon for a few minutes she acted completely normal. Last night she was worse, she would just walk around the coop with her head bent back and shaking. She only stopped if I had her in my lap and I held her head down. I did this for about an hour, put her in the nesting box, and she finally went to sleep without her head shaking. I didn't expect her to make it through the night, but when I opened the coop door this morning she came out first, acting normal, following me around begging to come inside.

This is the first time it has been this bad, she did this once back in the summer. But she was in the coop, and it looked like she was just looking at the ceiling. I called them to me and she never did it again up until yesterday.

I am suspecting wry neck.
Maybe her head was injured? She's not top of the pecking order, but she isn't the lowest either. And no one picks on her.
If it is genetics, there is nothing I can do for it- correct?
If it is a vitamin deficiency (I'm assuming vitamin E or B?) what can I supplement her diet with?
If it is botulism, how can I treat? I never let their feed get wet, and they never have access to any old leftovers.

If it isn't wry neck, do any of you have any clue what it could be? She is my favorite hen, and I'll do anything necessary. Thank you all so much in advance! :)

@Wyorp Rock, @azygous, @Eggcessive, @staceyj, @casportpony

Last edited:
I agree with your assessment. Everything points to wry neck. If it is, she should respond quickly to vitamin E therapy. You probably know what to do, but if not, it's 400iu of the E and a sliver of selenium.

The only other thing it might be is a crop disorder. It wouldn't hurt to monitor her for that.

When I opened the door she was walking around in circles, with her head bent backwards on her back. Every time she did this with her head her head would shake. She was eating and drinking on her own.
Last night she was worse, she would just walk around the coop with her head bent back and shaking. She only stopped if I had her in my lap and I held her head down.
This is the first time it has been this bad, she did this once back in the summer. But she was in the coop, and it looked like she was just looking at the ceiling.
I'm sorry to hear about Bibby.
The symptoms you describe sound like Wry Neck to me. Understand that Wry Neck is a neurological symptom.
Since this is not the first time you have seen this, sadly you may be dealing with Marek's.
Try 400IU Vitamin E along with 1/4 tablet human B-Complex vitamins daily for a week or so to see if that helps. Give her egg or tuna for Selenium which helps with the uptake of E.

I'm sorry to hear about Bibby.
The symptoms you describe sound like Wry Neck to me. Understand that Wry Neck is a neurological symptom.
Since this is not the first time you have seen this, sadly you may be dealing with Marek's.
Try 400IU Vitamin E along with 1/4 tablet human B-Complex vitamins daily for a week or so to see if that helps. Give her egg or tuna for Selenium which helps with the uptake of E.

Thank you!
I hope it isn't Marek's, none of my other chickens have ever showed symptoms like this :(
Can I give her these vitamins?

https://www.puritan.com/puritans-pride-brand-0102/vitamin-e-400-iu-100-percent-natural-000542?scid=45182&cmp=gpl-_-vitamine-_-000542 Puritan's Pride&gclid=CjwKCAiAiarfBRASEiwAw1tYv_XSJMVStq7mJCvv2FGyQ7CjdVsWQUZmOYgivNTcUmxE_uj3e-CO4xoCOGMQAvD_BwE

https://ship.kroger.com/p/031604013...H5TX4C_84COIxNeFOZhoCHp8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

My favorite hen "Bibby" a Black Australorp, has been acting wrong since yesterday afternoon. She is my friendliest chicken, she's actually more like a dog than a chicken. She prefers to hang around people more than her flock. It poured the rain all morning yesterday, so I kept them in the the coop until about 3 pm. When I opened the door she was walking around in circles, with her head bent backwards on her back. Every time she did this with her head her head would shake. She was eating and drinking on her own.
After she had been free ranging yesterday afternoon for a few minutes she acted completely normal. Last night she was worse, she would just walk around the coop with her head bent back and shaking. She only stopped if I had her in my lap and I held her head down. I did this for about an hour, put her in the nesting box, and she finally went to sleep without her head shaking. I didn't expect her to make it through the night, but when I opened the coop door this morning she came out first, acting normal, following me around begging to come inside.

This is the first time it has been this bad, she did this once back in the summer. But she was in the coop, and it looked like she was just looking at the ceiling. I called them to me and she never did it again up until yesterday.

I am suspecting wry neck.
Maybe her head was injured? She's not top of the pecking order, but she isn't the lowest either. And no one picks on her.
If it is genetics, there is nothing I can do for it- correct?
If it is a vitamin deficiency (I'm assuming vitamin E or B?) what can I supplement her diet with?
If it is botulism, how can I treat? I never let their feed get wet, and they never have access to any old leftovers.

If it isn't wry neck, do any of you have any clue what it could be? She is my favorite hen, and I'll do anything necessary. Thank you all so much in advance! :)

@Wyorp Rock, @azygous, @Eggcessive, @staceyj, @casportpony
I am following along as you’ve already gotten great advice. I have a soft spot in my heart for australorps.

I agree though, that it sounds like wry neck.
Two questions:
How old is Bibby?
And did you add any birds to your flock this spring?

Sorry she is not well. Recently I had two chicks with what looked like wry neck so I gave them shots of the cattle B complex and both were 100% better in two hours.

I also had two chicks with way looked like "crazy chick disease", those were treated with vitamin E and recovered in two days.

I guess if I had a full grown hen do this I would give her a shot of the complex once a day and a vitamin e gel capsule.

Selenium is good too, but it is toxic if too much is given, so I think I would skip that.

Back
Top Bottom