Chicken with Object Stuck in Vent

BonnieJean

Chirping
10 Years
Apr 10, 2010
Connecticut
Hi! I am at a loss for what to do and I'm hoping someone here has had some experience with this and can help... I have a one year old female Mille Fleur d'Uccle whose wings have been a little droopy for a day or two. This morning I decided to take a look at her to see what's going on and I noticed that her whole behind is stinky and covered in diarrhea, and there is a hard object sticking out (I think a long piece of mulch or a stick). It's about 1/4" wide and sticking out about 1/2" from her vent. I tried to pull it, hoping it was short and I would be able to get it out, but she got upset and it seemed to hurt her. She has been eating, but this morning would not come when I called the others for treats. I'm really worried and unsure of what to do to help her. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

It sounds like when my dogs eat plastic and it get stuck, I have to help pull it out. I would try and see if you can help her remove it. Might have been something she ate or she might be stopped up. Try putting a some oil around and in the vent to help it pass. Good luck.

I would give her a soak in some warm water. I use a bucket when I have to give mine a soak and put a screen or towel over the top. I sit next to the bucket to ensure no escape but they rarely try. After the soak, her fanny should be cleaned off enough for you te evaluate the situation and what to do. I would also use some oil like stated above to lubricate the area. If you can get something to go around the object just inside the vent without hurting her to see if it may have splintered and is stuck to the vent before you try to pull it out. If it is, I would consult my vet for help. You don't want to do more damage. I would also wear some rubber gloves. And don't have your face in the line of fire.
sickbyc.gif

I do not recommend soaking in water. If it is a piece of mulch or a stick...soaking in water would cause the wood to swell causing more problems. Oil might work, but taking her to a vet would be best.

Thanks so much for your help! She's hiding under the deck and I can't get her out, but as soon as I see her in the yard, I'll try again with oil and post an update. I really appreciate the quick replies
smile.png

Hello, oh so sorry to hear this. I would fill a plastic dish tub with some warm, soapy water and soak her bum in it.......usually when you dip a chcken in some warm water, they will be very still. Just let her relax a bit (holding her of course), and then try to gently remove the dirt and poo first, then the foreign object. It might sort of be glued in there with poo.....

Good luck to you,

Sharon

Well, so far so good
smile.png
I got the piece of whatever it was is out, and she's back in the backyard with the rest of the girls. Hooray!!! Thanks again for your help!

LOL... yes I do! It was a thin piece of wood, I think a piece of mulch. They are in the flower beds scratching around a lot, and she must have mistakenly eaten it in there. Poor girl! She should be feeling better soon, though. Thanks again!!

I"m glad it's out.

As far as the soaking and wood swelling. I concidered that but to clean off her fanny a soaking was needed and as stated by chickmom, it could have been stuck due to the dried poo on her fanny. As long as the piece of wood wasn't the size of an egg a soaking shouldn't have hurt. Thats what I was thinking anyway. It's what I would have done. But i'm glad all is well now. Thats what's important.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom