Chicken with one eye shut?

picklestheduck

Obsessed with Animals🦆🐓🐥🐴🐱🐶
Premium Feather Member
Oct 16, 2021
Michigan
Hey yall
I went to go put my birds to bed tonight and I noticed my 7 month old Rhode Island Red's eye was shut? I gently opened it and looked at it and she seems to have a tiny bit of yellowish goo in there and its a bit more runny. She isn't keeping it shut 24/7 but most of the time she is. Not sure whats up.:idunno
1634428804030.png
1634428827977.png

It could be a respiratory disease with a sinus infection. MG and coryza are common ones. Coryza smells bad. Tylosin in the water can treat MG. Clean the eye with saline eye wash, after removing any pus, and put a dab of Terramycin eye ointment in the eye twice a day. Coryza may require sulfa antibiotics.

One of our roosters started closing his eye, (thought it was probably a respiratory disease), gave him some antibiotic, didn't get better, only started to get worst, until finally he became weak, stopped eating and died. If no one can tell you exactly what it might be I'd take her to the vet quickly.

Thanks so much! She seems to be doing better this morning and is no longer closing it. I'll clean it and keep an eye on it.

Back
Top Bottom