Chicken with pasty butt! Need help with antibiotics dosage!

You never want to use antibiotics on chickens unless you have a diagnosis or know what you are treating. Clean up the vent area with a butt bath if the chicken is not too weak and unstable. Look carefully for any irritation, prolapses, etc. Is the chicken lethargic, eating or drinking. Poop pictures can help. What does the crop feel like—empty and flat, full, hard, doughy, or puffy. Is it emptying by the next morning? Can you try giving some electrolytes with vitamins and get her drinking. Have you ever wormed your chickens? How old are the chickens that are sick or have died? Most state vets will perform a necropsy (autopsy.) That is the best way to know if you have a disease in your flock.
Thank you so much! She is acting normal, so I will just clean the vent and will try to send a picture of the area. I have wormed the chickens, but it has been a little longer than a year, should I deworm them again? The chickens that died were about 2 years old.

Would electrolytes and cleaning up the area be enough to help? I mean, 3 other chickens died and I gave them electrolytes twice a day. Should I be doing anything else?

What do you normally worm your flock with? What do you feed? Does your feed have any probiotics? Those can be helpful with loose poops. Plain yogurt contains some. What state are you in? If you lose another, keep the body cold, and consider sending it in to the state vet for a necropsy.

What do you normally worm your flock with? What do you feed? Does your feed have any probiotics? Those can be helpful with loose poops. Plain yogurt contains some. What state are you in? If you lose another, keep the body cold, and consider sending it in to the state vet for a necropsy.
About a year ago, I dewormed them with Ivermectin. I feed them DuMor chicken feed. I add apple cider vinegar to the water every once in a while. I will give her some probiotics. I live in Florida.

Back
Top Bottom