cHIcken with prolapsed uterus

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cjb, Jun 26, 2010.

1. cjb

cjb Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2009
    I have a chick with a prolapsed uterus. I have put it in about three times and used hemryoid cream to try to reduce swelling. She is in the house with sheet over crated to reduce light, has water with electrolytes, no food yet, and am trying to keep her as quiet as possible. She screamed like I was really hurting her and it was so hard. Can I do anything else anyone with other info? Would really appreciate any help please [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Do a search for prolapsed vent, here on BYC. There are many threads about it. Chicken anatomy is a bit different from human anatomy.

3. TexChix2

TexChix2 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2010
    I have a hen whose uterus prolapsed back in early spring. I did separate her from the flock (tiny flock of 9). Limited her light and feed, but she never stopped laying. I did try to wash her as often as possible but she would stress out so badly that at one point she passed out (terrified me). Long story short: I trimmed away all her bottom feathers so the poop wouldn't stick. I rinsed her off maybe once every three or four days for the first month. After that I just kept her separated. The prolapse did not change for MONTHS. But Hera didn't seem to notice it being a problem. She missed the flock so I put her back in during the day and then finally let her stay the night. It was another two months or so before she strolled out one morning with everything popped back in. She has been healthy and normal and running around and laying through the entire ordeal. The biggest trauma seemed to be my trying to bathe her and push things back in (they'd go in and she'd push like crazy to get them back out). My conclusion is that the biggest risk of a prolapsed uterus is an infection or being attacked by the others. Feeding her yogurt can help fight off some bacterial infections. I'd risk guessing that in many cases where the owner just waits it out, the hen recovers on her own.

Don't lose faith in her!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by