chicken with right sided weakness

newchickiemom48

Songster
9 Years
Mar 4, 2014
I have a one year old rooster who was hiding behind my spare coop in late March. When I went to see what was wrong he began scooting backwards and then collapsed. I brought him in overnight worried that he might not make it through the night. He was still alive the next morning. I vaccinated him myself for Marek's when he hatched, but I was still worried that might be the cause although it wasn't quite what I've seen in the past. I put him in my chicken hospital and provided food and water which he eats and drinks very well. I give him vitamin B12 for neurologic support and poultry cell every day. I do passive range of motion with the affected leg, and he is now able to stand with support, and briefly stretch he leg on his own. He is back to crowing. When I'm not working with him he prefers to keep the affected leg behind him rather than under him. He has a tendency to kick the leg and retract it when we start his exercises but does well once he is warmed up and stretched. Does anyone have any idea on the cause of his symptoms or suggestions on how I can better help him?

It is hard to know exactly what is going on, but he may have been injured in some way. Do you have another rooster, or high roost bars?Mareks is still possible even with a vaccine. It is good to know that he is recovering somewhat.

Back
Top Bottom