Chicken with runny stinky poo after hawk attack

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SCbiddies, Jan 27, 2011.

1. SCbiddies

SCbiddies New Egg

Apr 29, 2008
    My Jersey Giant/Ameracauna cross was attacked by a hawk yesterday. (Not sure what the hawk was thinking, Bluebell is bigger than he was!)

Other than a lot of feather loss, the only apparent injury Bluebell received is a scratch about an inch long on her left side, a little above her thigh. I put some Blu Kote on it.

Today, however, she has really stinky, gunky poo. It looks mostly greenish/brownish with some white, i.e. normal poop color, but it is really goopy and stuck all over her butt.

Is this something I need to worry about, or is this a normal response to stress?

Any thoughts or ideas would be welcome.

2. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    I think this may just be because of the stress. Keep her on a high protein diet and make shure shes eating and drinking.

3. Breac

Breac Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I can't imagine a hawk's claws are the cleanest, so I think that an infection may be possible. It happened to one of my hens two years ago. Shortly after Ms. Little was attacked by an owl, she started having runny poo as well as becoming lethargic. She ended up having a bad infection in her back.

If I were you, I'd keep a close eye on your bird for now, and rub something like Neosporin in her back everyday. If she starts getting sicker, I'd say start an antibiotic treatment quickly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by