Chicken with runny whitish poop - In Need of Help!

chicklover56

Songster
7 Years
Jun 1, 2015
Kansas
My chicken Clare is acting really weird and has runny white poop running down her butt. She's usually really peppy and won't leave me alone, but she isn't moving very fast and looks like she's in a lot of pain. Then, she'll crouch down like she's trying to lay an egg or maybe poop and screech. She hasn't started laying yet if that helps.

This is Clare. She looks like she's in pain?

This is the poop running down her butt.

Last edited:
I am sorry about your bird.
hugs.gif

First, check her for egg binding. Put on a latex glove with some KY Jelly or Vaseline on your index finger and insert it into her vent straight back. If there is an egg there, it will be right there within an inch or so. If it is 2 inches or more back, she is not egg bound and the egg is still safe in the uterus. If she does have a stuck egg, re lube up your finger and get this lubricant into her vent around the egg. Sometimes this is enough to get that egg to move. If she doesn't move the egg within 15 mins, bring her inside the house and fill up the sink or a basin with warm, not hot, not cool either, but warm water. You are going to soak her lower half in this warm water. The warmth should relax the abdomen muscles and allow her to push the egg out. You may need to hold her in the water, of she may sink down in and relax. Soak her for 15 mins. While she is soaking, get some calcium into her. Either some sort of human calcium or even Tums will work. Break them into pieces. If she won't readily eat them, stuff pieces in raisins and she should eat them. This calcium will help with contractions to move the egg out.

After 15 mins remove her from the water and dry her off with a blow drier. Then let her rest in the house for about an hour. The egg should pass within this time. Make sure she is able to eat and drink before putting her back outside with the others. And she needs to be dry as well.

If she is not egg bound, has she been wormed recently? Worms will impact the intestinal tract and not allow solids to pass. You will see lots of diarrhea, thin watery stools. If you have not wormed her or your flock, worm as soon as possible!!

Good luck and keep us posted!! :)

What's wrong? Please Help!!!
She's pushing this red balloon looking thing out of her vent. I know that this isn't normal! She is barely moving, and she is not eating or drinking.
Should we put an end to her misery or is there anything I can do?
This is my favorite and I would do anything for her, spend any amount of money.
Thank you!

Last edited:
I am sorry about you bird. :hugs

Usually when they get so bad as to not move, eat or drink, they generally aren't going to make it.

I would bring her inside and keep her warm and comfortable in case these are her last hours.

I am sorry about you bird.
hugs.gif

Usually when they get so bad as to not move, eat or drink, they generally aren't going to make it.

I would bring her inside and keep her warm and comfortable in case these are her last hours.
Ok. I brought her in already and she is warm and comfortable.

Thank you. I really appreciate your help in getting through this.

Last edited:
Hey there chicklover56 I am also so very sorry about your girl and agree with TwoCrows that she sounds pretty bad.

I am guessing you do not have any Vets in your area who know about chickens?

Also, I am definitely not an expert on what ails chickens, is that a prolapsed vent I can see in your latest picture?

hugs.gif

Last edited:
Hey there chicklover56 I am also so very sorry about your girl and agree with TwoCrows that she sounds pretty bad.

I am guessing your do not have any Vets in your area who know about chickens?

Also, I am definitely not an expert on what ails chickens, is that a prolapsed vent I can see in your latest picture?

hugs.gif
I was going to look if there were any vets who do. I am not sure what a prolapsed vent is?

Back
Top Bottom