Chicken with runny whitish poop - In Need of Help!

Prolapse happens when the bird cant pass an egg and she pushes her insides out. You can usually treat this if you catch it just as it happens. However your bird is probably too far gone.

If caught early enough, the insides can be stuffed back inside, prep h applied to reduce inflammation, and the bird is kept in low light for a week or two so she stops laying.

However if your girl has given up and is barely moving and not eating, she probably is not going to make it.

Just keep her warm and comfy. :hugs

Sorry but i dont agree with two crows on not trying, i would try what could it hurt. Try to get push it gently back inside her and keep her in a warm dark area so she can rest.

Thats really odd then for her to have a prolapsed vent.... I almost wonder if she laid a solf or shell less eggs as these can cause prolapsed vents and the others would have eaten it without leaving evidence.

Thats really odd then for her to have a prolapsed vent.... I almost wonder if she laid a solf or shell less eggs as these can cause prolapsed vents and the others would have eaten it without leaving evidence.
Do I just push it back in whenever she pushes it out? and how far?

Last edited:
It could be that she has started to lay and some possible ‘plumbing’ defect from birth has caused this issue OR her first egg could be large but that is usually not the case.

While I agree that it is probably not going to hurt to try and push the prolapsed vent back in, the fact that she has not laid previously could be an indication of that defect and if she is having difficulty laying her first egg, the reoccurrence of the prolapse is going to be high I believe
sad.png

Also, depending on how long she has these issues, eggs are going to continue to develop and build up in her system which can also be fatal
sad.png

Young layers are prone to all kinds of egg laying issues. When their egg laying machines are not fully developed yet, prolapse can happen very easily. Dehydration will cause prolapse because the oviduct becomes too dry.

Be very careful pushing it back in if she is as weak as you say. If it is too swollen and she is ill, you can damage or rupture her tiisue, depending on how long it has been hanging out of her. Dont over force the tissue. You can slather prep h on the prolapse and gentley try to push it in. Fresh prolapses go back in very easily, older ones get too swollen and infected.

Back
Top Bottom