Chicken with runs...

supermom

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 10, 2008
I have a polish about 19 weeks old. She is eating and drinking fine but she has the runs. My other chickens all seem fine. I haven't changed the food or anything. Is this normal or should I be concerned?

It's normal for them to have runny poop once in awhile; if it's reddish-brown, it's called Cecal. They're really smelly, too!

If you know who it is and can keep watch of her poop, that would be most helpful in us being able to help you. Have you given any new type of treats? I gave mine a spaghetti squash the other day, and they were kind of runny the following morning.

My 2 younger one's seem to get this often. It'll clear up in a day or 2 after I give them fruit... but if I give them apples, or ESPECIALLY melon fruits they get it again.

Other then that not a problem... I was getting concerned, but after a day or 2 it would stop, then start again. I had a feeling I was causing it with my constant treats!
hmm.png

I don't give many treats.. but I had thrown in some arugula and a few cut up grapes yesterday. I thought these were okay. I am letting them out in the yard this afternoon hoping that she will eat what she needs and solve her own problem... if it is in fact a problem.
I only let them roam the yard twice a week because they are so messy! Their run is 6 X 8 and I only have 5 chickens so I figure that's enough.

Back
Top Bottom