Simply for my own knowledge, I took @azygous 's advice and looked up "hypericum safe for chickens". I find it interesting that hypericum is St. John's Wort, because I've previously read that St. John's Wort can be toxic to chickens. However, though I didn't research the issue in depth, St. John's Wort is anti-viral, which always always catches my interest since antibiotics are ineffective on viruses. Though I only briefly researched, there IS evidence that hypericum could be worth a try when a flock carries viral diseases, and if my flock carried a viral disease(s), I would do further research. Depending on what else I learned, I would be open to giving hypericum a try.
https://poultrydvm.com/supplement/st-johns-wort
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3384280/
I have heard lots about Marek's and St John's wort. I actually used it on my rooster a few years ago, and he survived. But of course I don't know if he really had Marek's or if it was just luck that he recovered, but it's worth a shot if it could possibly save a life.

I'm sorry the hen died, but she did save you from the unpleasant task of euthanizing her, a mixed blessing, as they say.

If you are up for cutting her open and examining her organs. lymphoid leucosis is one of the easiest avian viruses to recognize in the organs. The liver is huge. My cockerel that was necropsied by the state lab had a two pound liver. You probably know a normal chicken liver is maybe a few ounces at best.

Another glaring thing I've found opening up a chicken that died of leucosis is hundreds of rice size tumors all over the organs like polka dots. One chicken had a noxious "soup" in the abdominal cavity where these tumors were floating like beans as in bean soup.

Marek's causes tumors on joints but is more difficult to see. The usual way the lab tech diagnoses Marek's is by looking at the sciatic nerve. It's enlarged and inflamed. But you likely wouldn't be able to find it.

I am, however, pretty much convinced that your hen had one of these two viruses.

I really appreciate all your help. Sadly, she passed sometime during the night, which does not surprise me in the least. At this point in time, I'll probably hold off on the lab tests just because of life circumstances, but I'll definitely save these resources for future use. Again, thanks so much for sharing your knowledge.
I'm so sorry😢 sending you warm hugs!

I'm sorry the hen died, but she did save you from the unpleasant task of euthanizing her, a mixed blessing, as they say.

If you are up for cutting her open and examining her organs. lymphoid leucosis is one of the easiest avian viruses to recognize in the organs. The liver is huge. My cockerel that was necropsied by the state lab had a two pound liver. You probably know a normal chicken liver is maybe a few ounces at best.

Another glaring thing I've found opening up a chicken that died of leucosis is hundreds of rice size tumors all over the organs like polka dots. One chicken had a noxious "soup" in the abdominal cavity where these tumors were floating like beans as in bean soup.

Marek's causes tumors on joints but is more difficult to see. The usual way the lab tech diagnoses Marek's is by looking at the sciatic nerve. It's enlarged and inflamed. But you likely wouldn't be able to find it.

I am, however, pretty much convinced that your hen had one of these two viruses.
I'm tempted to do it myself, but I don't know if I have it in me to do it to her. I am not squeamish about stuff like that, it's just the fact that she was a beloved pet. Maybe someday I'll work up the courage - I'm slowly getting braver in that department.

I'm tempted to do it myself, but I don't know if I have it in me to do it to her. I am not squeamish about stuff like that, it's just the fact that she was a beloved pet. Maybe someday I'll work up the courage - I'm slowly getting braver in that department.
I'm sorry she passed away. When I necropsy a hen, it helps to remember that her spirit has flown, and I am simply examining a discarded body that is no longer needed by my departed feathered friend. Still, there have been times I intended to perform a necropsy but just didn't have it in me emotionally to do so. If you still have her body and think you Might want to do a necropsy, you can keep her body in the fridge if/until you become emotionally ready. I'm not trying to persuade you to do something you don't want to do, just saying it is possible to delay the exam.

I'm sorry she passed away. When I necropsy a hen, it helps to remember that her spirit has flown, and I am simply examining a discarded body that is no longer needed by my departed feathered friend. Still, there have been times I intended to perform a necropsy but just didn't have it in me emotionally to do so. If you still have her body and think you Might want to do a necropsy, you can keep her body in the fridge if/until you become emotionally ready. I'm not trying to persuade you to do something you don't want to do, just saying it is possible to delay the exam.
I think I've made up my mind this time, but I'll definitely remember this for the future. Thank you so much - I really like your way of thinking about it, that really helps

Back
Top Bottom