chicken with swollen eyes?

teravolt217

In the Brooder
May 26, 2017
i got some new frizzle chickens about a month ago and a week after i got them one of their eyes started to bubble up. i separated him and started to give him antibiotics and regularly cleaned out his eye with salt water but after about a week both eyes had swollen shut anyway, and one of his eyes has gone completely white. hes shown no other symptoms aside from one day where he looked like he couldnt breathe and was lying down all day. i thought he was going to die, but then the next day he was up again like nothing had happened. unfortunately both of his eyes are still swollen.

four of my other chooks got runny noses about a week ago and a few days ago one of the other new frizzles started making these weird coughing noises. all the other chickens seem fine, and none of them are showing more than one symptom.

does anyone have any advice on what they might have and how to treat them?

heres a picture of the first chicken that got sick:

Attachments

• IMG_2063.JPG
    IMG_2063.JPG
    480 KB · Views: 15
What kind of gunk did you get out of his eye before? Is the eye actually white, or is there something covering it? like a semi-hardened pus? I would definitely give everybody antibiotics for respiratory infection in their water supply. Common antibiotics appropriate for this use are the –mycin and –cycline drugs such as Aureomycin (chlortetracycline), Terramycin (oxytetracycline), Gallimycin (erythromycin), and Duravet. I also like to give my more sickly birds Nutri-drench for an added booster.

The chickens you brought in may have been exposed or carriers of a respiratory disease from their previous home. That is how a lot of diseases may be brought into a flock, which is why quarantine for 30 days or more is a good idea when buying chickens. Some diseases that can cause swelling and foam in the eye are mycoplasma (MG) and coryza, but E.coli bacteria can also cause secondary infections. Do the sick chickens have a bad odor, since coryza may cause that? When one chicken is added to a flock with a contagious disease, it can make carriers of the whole flock, although many may not show symptoms. I would separate any sick birds, get a necropsy performed on any that die or are culled, and contact your local vet for help with antibiotics or testing. Feed stores have Tylan 50 injectable, but although it will treat mycoplasma, it does not always treat other bacteria, especially E.coli in the eye.

What kind of gunk did you get out of his eye before? Is the eye actually white, or is there something covering it? like a semi-hardened pus? I would definitely give everybody antibiotics for respiratory infection in their water supply. Common antibiotics appropriate for this use are the –mycin and –cycline drugs such as Aureomycin (chlortetracycline), Terramycin (oxytetracycline), Gallimycin (erythromycin), and Duravet. I also like to give my more sickly birds Nutri-drench for an added booster.

its almost definitely something like pus covering his eye, and now theres this weird brownish lump on it. and ive been giving them sulfa3 would that help at all? or should i try different antibiotics?

The chickens you brought in may have been exposed or carriers of a respiratory disease from their previous home. That is how a lot of diseases may be brought into a flock, which is why quarantine for 30 days or more is a good idea when buying chickens. Some diseases that can cause swelling and foam in the eye are mycoplasma (MG) and coryza, but E.coli bacteria can also cause secondary infections. Do the sick chickens have a bad odor, since coryza may cause that? When one chicken is added to a flock with a contagious disease, it can make carriers of the whole flock, although many may not show symptoms. I would separate any sick birds, get a necropsy performed on any that die or are culled, and contact your local vet for help with antibiotics or testing. Feed stores have Tylan 50 injectable, but although it will treat mycoplasma, it does not always treat other bacteria, especially E.coli in the eye.

yeah i thought that mightve been the case, and i have made sure to keep the newcomers separated, as well as the sick bird. i havent noticed any bad odors from the chickens, but ill check again. i didnt want to go to the vet because of how expensive they can be, but i think ill end up doing that anyway. thank you

one of his eyes looks like its healing well, but his other eye keeps getting worse, and it now has a weird brownish lump on it

Attachments

• IMG_7814.jpeg
    IMG_7814.jpeg
    360.1 KB · Views: 13
because it could be that the others have pecked his eye and its got infected this happened to one of my chickens and she had canker

i had initially kept him separated with the other two new chickens, but i separated him from them as well as soon as i noticed the swelling. it is possible that other chickens have pecked it, the new chooks were given to me because they were being picked on in their old flock. that said though i think its more likely a respiratory disease of some kind, seeing as how there was one day where he was struggling to breathe. and now other chickens are showing those different symptoms as well

ive been giving the sick bird anitbiotics for about a month, but i just heard that you shouldnt give it to them for more than seven days. he seems otherwise healthy besides the swollen eyes so should i stop giving him antibiotics?

Back
Top Bottom