Chicken with swollen hot leg

Mellyb77

Hatching
May 25, 2020
Hi, my almost 2 year old chicken started limping yesterday afternoon. I thought it was a broken leg but couldn’t see any break then thought bumblefoot but so far no swelling on pad.
I have been bathing it morning and night in epsom salts but is very hot and can see the swelling in attached photo. She is eating and pecking around but just on one leg.
I have no way to isolate her to rest it and she still managed to get up and roost last night but I got her down this morning.
Any suggestions would be really helpful please

Attachments

• F94C1F19-4FC4-4164-9131-14ACE7FD18AB.jpeg
    F94C1F19-4FC4-4164-9131-14ACE7FD18AB.jpeg
    281 KB · Views: 29
  • 39A68399-923B-470F-B534-7F6720CADEF3.jpeg
    39A68399-923B-470F-B534-7F6720CADEF3.jpeg
    349.8 KB · Views: 7
Can you get a picture of the bottom of the foot? It looks like either bumble foot or a damaged joint to me. Someone else may have a better idea of what’s going on though.

There could be a broken ankle joint or a bad sprain. An xray by a vet confirm this this. You could try splinting with padding, something stiff, such as an aluminum padded finger splint which can be found in first aid aisles, and tape or strips of vet wrap. Here is a picture of the finger splint bent to the shape of the ankle:
https://sunnysideupfarmhome.files.wordpress.com/2020/08/fracture-leg-1.jpg?w=320

This is also a video of a lower leg injury and splinting:

Thank you for replies, just been to see her this morning and more bruising. Nothing on pad so ruling out bumble foot. Will look to get something to splint it with and see how she goes.

Hi, my almost 2 year old chicken started limping yesterday afternoon. I thought it was a broken leg but couldn’t see any break then thought bumblefoot but so far no swelling on pad.
I have been bathing it morning and night in epsom salts but is very hot and can see the swelling in attached photo. She is eating and pecking around but just on one leg.
I have no way to isolate her to rest it and she still managed to get up and roost last night but I got her down this morning.
Any suggestions would be really helpful please

It looks like internal Bumblefoot staph Infection can you soak his foot in Epsom salt water with bit of rosemary oil . ? And see if it improves
Heat inside the leg can be a sign of Infection and pus formation.

It looks like internal Bumblefoot staph Infection can you soak his foot in Epsom salt water with bit of rosemary oil . ? And see if it improves
Heat inside the leg can be a sign of Infection and pus formation.
Thank you, she remains cautious of her leg but the blue has gone and heat. I left it wrapped for a few days and all looking good 😊

Back
Top Bottom