Chicken with very swollen eye!

thechickenfarmer

Songster
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Connecticut
My Salmon Fav. Ines was perfectly fine when I gave her a treat this afternoon, I came back out of the coop (she's a free ranger) two minutes later and she was lying on her side on the ground. She looked dead! When I went to pick her up she got up and walked normally. When I examined her more closely I saw that her left eye and the surrounding face was very swollen. Could she have been stung by a bee? Is there anything else that could have done this? I just checked her tonight and the swelling has not gone down at all. Is there anything I can do for her? Thanks, Jen

no she has what is refered to as a respiratory disease (some times csalled sinus infection)

you should see if they have neomycin and get some and put it in the waterer for the whole flock as she is surely passing the germs around in the drinking water

Using Vetrx for each bird infected

put vetrx on the head and under the wings
and 1/2 tsp down the throat a couple times a day for a week
2 tsp vetrx per gallon of water
for all of them as if it drank from the same watetrer then I would give it in the water for all of them

***to get the birds going I would do this

*** the wet mash probiotic this evening

wet mash probiotic
1 qt of dry crumbles
1-1/2 qts of milk any kind
1/4 cup of yoguart
mix good and feed 3 tbsp per chicken so that they eat it in 20-30 minutes

also in the water put 2 tbsp of ACV to a gallon of water
you can order Vetrx from smith poultry supply

Smith Poultry & Game Bird Supply

14000 W. 215th St., Bucyrus, KS 66013-9519

Ph. 913-879-2587 - 7:30 A. M. - 3 P. M CST Monday-Friday

24-hour Fax. 913-533-2497

you can email me PM for help
keep us posted to let us kno what happens on this

Thanks so much Glenda. That makes total sense now, she was breathing with her beak open tonight. Poor girl! I'll do everything you said tomorrow. Is this serious or will she recover? I hate to have a favorites but she really is a good chicken. Thanks, Jen

Back
Top Bottom