Chicken with watery mucus droppings, lethargic and weak, not eating, crop is squishy.

I'm sorry to hear about Hennifer:hugs

Hard to know what's happening with her, but I would suspect some type of reproductive issue. Fatty Liver disease also comes to mind.

If she's had troubles with production, then you can try getting extra calcium into her to see if she's able to expel any material (Lash, membrane, etc.).

A crop that is not emptying is a symptom and usually goes hand-in-hand with reproductive disorders, infection, etc.

If you happen to lose her, then having a necropsy through your state lab will give you the best answers as to what has caused the decline. Some of us do our own informal investigations and sometimes we are able to find some clues.
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html
Interesting about the crop. I realized after I wrapped her up and laid her in a few paper bags, that there was a foul oder coming from the chair that I had just laid her in prior to her heart attack. She vomited up some awful smelling vial. Same odor as what was coming out her vent. I do have to say that her crop was squishy. I thought it was from all the water she was drinking but probably not. It probably was impacted. I'm so clueless when it comes to sickness in chickens. 😢 Thank you for all the info. I'm never getting another leghorn or leghorn mix. Hennifer was vigorous with everything. She didn't care if something was too big to swallow either. She always worried me.

Interesting about the crop. I realized after I wrapped her up and laid her in a few paper bags, that there was a foul oder coming from the chair that I had just laid her in prior to her heart attack. She vomited up some awful smelling vial. Same odor as what was coming out her vent. I do have to say that her crop was squishy. I thought it was from all the water she was drinking but probably not. It probably was impacted. I'm so clueless when it comes to sickness in chickens. 😢 Thank you for all the info. I'm never getting another leghorn or leghorn mix. Hennifer was vigorous with everything. She didn't care if something was too big to swallow either. She always worried me.
It sounds like she may have had sour crop. Leghorns, or mixes, lay many eggs and don't have a long life span, so they often get sick. I myself have had two Leghorns have reproduction issues. In the future try choosing breeds that don't lay too many eggs.

It sounds like she may have had sour crop. Leghorns, or mixes, lay many eggs and don't have a long life span, so they often get sick. I myself have had two Leghorns have reproduction issues. In the future try choosing breeds that don't lay too many eggs.
Yes. I have 2 docile hens and 1 docile rooster left. These hens don't lay many eggs in comparison. I do plan to get less vigorous layers in the Spring. I never want to go though this again. I can't get that order out of my nose. I feel queazy today....

Yes. I have 2 docile hens and 1 docile rooster left. These hens don't lay many eggs in comparison. I do plan to get less vigorous layers in the Spring.
You may want to be researching now! I did create this thread, so you can take a look through it.->
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-eggs-less-frequently-but-lay-longer.1507643/
I never want to go though this again. I can't get that order out of my nose. I feel queazy today....
:hugs

Back
Top Bottom