Pics

Tookie

🐓Eggsuberant🐤
Premium Feather Member
Dec 19, 2021
Central Texas
My Coop
My Coop
Hello! I am expanding my flock of chickens and will be getting chicks this spring, I want chicken breeds that lay eggs less frequently but lay for longer. I also want chicken breeds with less health issues. Thank you for any recommendations!

Dominiques are pretty good birds. Been years since I've been around any but my grandmother had some. I hear good things about EE but I've never raised any. Personally I'm a fan of rhode island reds but some people claim they can be an aggressive breed.

My Welsummers and EEs are both good birds. They definitely don't lay as often, but they seem to live quite long. I have lots of EEs and they are definitely one of my favorites. I also recommend Wyandotte's. My two 6-7 year old Wyandotte's still lay well. Haven't had much health issues with any of them, but Wyandotte's with a rose comb can have lower fertility. Oh and they can get poop stuck on their feathers during the hotter days or if they have an infection going on. Stacey (one of my Wyandottes) had a huge issue with this earlier in the year, but as long as you keep up with it, they are good birds.

My one EE is not laying right now, hasn't laid in a while and she is about 3 years old. So I don't know if she will be laying again or not, maybe it's the cold weather.

Back
Top Bottom