Chicken with Worms?

Hi, I think one of my chickens may have worms. She is a wyandotte and I got her 2 days ago from an auction. I think she should have been laying by now, she has a horrible case of lice that ive been treating and shes not active at all. She always is laying down but i was thinking that was because she has no energy because of the lice or because she was a factory bird and her toenails were way overgrown (she could hardly walk) and her legs cant support her. She has diahrea off and on and doesnt get along with my other hens. Do you think she has worms? And if she does, how often should i give her diatomaceous earth? Also is it contageous to my flock? Please help!
sad.png

Welcome to BYC!

DE doesn't work on anything, so go get some poultry dust and Safeguard (fenbendazole 10%) wormer, liquid or paste from your local feed store. You'll find the wormers in the cattle and horse section, do not buy Wazine (piperazine), it only kills one type of worm, the roundworm. Then weigh your hen and give 50mg/kg (0.5ml/2.2 pounds) by mouth and repeat in ten days.

You should also check her for a stuck egg. Get some glove, KJ jelly and very gently do an exam.

I did not realise that the verm x de wormer wont help if the chickens have worms already so I thought I was de worming them
hu.gif
I have som very poorly chickens and now I suspect worms,
hit.gif
I have some de wormer on the way but have just given the chickens mash potato with lots of cayenne pepper, garlic and pumpkin seeds, fingers crossed it works for now, so will keep you updated on if it seems to be working while I wait for my real de wormer to come. I don't to risk natural remedies looking like they are working when they are not as they are already ill. Verm X should make it a bit more clear, even now when I was looking for actual de wormer verm X was popping up everywhere. Oh well you live and you learn I guess.

DE I have heard does nothing for the chickens internally, but I have personal experience, where the DE clears up mites in and around the coop in one day. It stops working if it gets wet, but if you have a mite problem it's GREAT.
I know from personal experience that DE does not work on feather lice. Had it all over the coop, coated the birds in it and the lice remained.

-Kathy

Haley, did your chicken make it?
I'm reading all of your troubles, and I'm amazed at all the knowledge here!
So glad I've joined this site

Back
Top Bottom