Chicken won’t go in hen house at night

Pics
Do you have a light in the coop. If not try putting a small red light in the coop. If it hot use a LED light. Just male sure it’s red. White light is hard on their eyes. Chickens can’t see in the dark so they won’t go into a dark coop. Good luck :)
There are no lights in the coop but I plan on adding a window in the front where my big light on the telephone pole will shine in thanks

I had the same problem with mine after I built them a brand new coop. I ended up putting tasty treats in the coop just as it was getting dark. Took about a week but eventually all of them would head straight in by themselves to get the tasty treats. Then I’d block off the exits until they were happily roosting. After dark I’d unblock the exits. Took about another week for them to stay inside without me blocking the exits. They were probably not impressed that there were no more tasty treats to be found but the job was done and they put themselves to bed every night after that.
It’s pretty well built but I’m afraid that would invite mice to come in. That’s a great thought but I will only try that as a last resort but hey it’s getting to that point 😄

My flock on average are 70 days old. There are 12 of them and at night they huddle out side the hen house and I have to pick each one up every night to put to bed about 9pm. They aren’t afraid of the house. It’s completely predator proof and they go in and out all day long. They are getting heavy and I don’t know how to get them to go in by themselves.
Have you tried having a light on for them, with a timer that will go off around 9:30 or so?

My flock on average are 70 days old. There are 12 of them and at night they huddle out side the hen house and I have to pick each one up every night to put to bed about 9pm. They aren’t afraid of the house. It’s completely predator proof and they go in and out all day long. They are getting heavy and I don’t know how to get them to go in by themselves.
They need a rooster to follow.

I read somewhere that you might have to lock them in their house for a few days so they know that it there house. Not sure if that works, i myself have never tried it. Good luck if you try it.

Back
Top Bottom